Feeding fishes mosquitoes/bugs

94d33m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2019
Can I feed them small bugs from the house ? Saw some YouTube videos where the Betta eats mosquitoes, so I fed him one mosquito , he doesn't seem to have a problem, or is it harmful ?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
This is what fish feed on in nature.
It's mango season here in Panama, so this also means fly season, my fish get a plethora of swatted flys every day.
They also get termites and mosquito larvae.
View attachment 1375685
View attachment 1375686
I don't tend to question Duanes as I am certainly no expert. But isn't it possible that insects land on things that you don't want in your tank?
I do get that people with ponds naturally have insects landing. So maybe I am overreacting?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I don't tend to question Duanes as I am certainly no expert. But isn't it possible that insects land on things that you don't want in your tank?
I do get that people with ponds naturally have insects landing. So maybe I am overreacting?
Of course there's always potential of wild insects being a carrier of harmful contaminants, but this is the scenario of every day life for all organisms. Every time we humans put food in our mouth, there's a potential for food poisoning. Unless ones' immune system is compromised and/or a toxin is in a high enough concentration, there shouldn't be any issues.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Of course there's always potential of wild insects being a carrier of harmful contaminants, but this is the scenario of every day life for all organisms. Every time we humans put food in our mouth, there's a potential for food poisoning. Unless ones' immune system is compromised and/or a toxin is in a high enough concentration, there shouldn't be any issues.
I agree. I'm just super sensitive with my fish. Very "closed system" conscious. These little guys depend on me for a clean healthy environment.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I agree. I'm just super sensitive with my fish. Very "closed system" conscious. These little guys depend on me for a clean healthy environment.
A "closed system" does not make it a fully controlled environment. Unless it is in a negative pressure room, and everything going into it is sterilized; its still an opened environment, and like any opened environment it is probably subjected to more contaminations than you may possibly think.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Instant Bugg Bytes:

Whenever I see some gnat, smaller moth or mosquito flying around either Aro tank lights, I zap 'em with a quick wave of the shocker. They fall through the heavy plastic mesh lid and wallah, easy little nutritional snack. Just as often the bugs kill themselves on the lights and fall down, or are stupid enough to land on the water. In all cases they don't last long.

Reactions: xraycer

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Instant Bugg Bytes:

View attachment 1375737

Whenever I see some gnat, smaller moth or mosquito flying around either Aro tank lights, I zap 'em with a quick wave of the shocker. They fall through the heavy plastic mesh lid and wallah, easy little nutritional snack. Just as often the bugs kill themselves on the lights and fall down, or are stupid enough to land on the water. In all cases they don't last long.
The one I have, really fries them. Smells kinda like burnt hair. I'm not sure if there are any nutritional value left with the bugs being so "over cooked" :)
During the summer time, I use this toy that my son no longer cares for. Works great!
Lazer-Bug-Vacuum-1.jpg

Reactions: islandguy11

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I feed my fish larvae all the time, that's what blood worms are. I used to feed my fish bugs all the time (mainly crickets and grass hoppers) because I had carnivorous fish that normally eat bugs (arowanas, oscars, red devils, gars, etc.)

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store