Feeding fry in a large tank?

FrankTheTank110183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
My green terror pair are alone in a 120g they have spawned and the fry should be swimming soon. How do you feed fry in such a large tank guaranteeing the food gets to them and not blown away by the filter etc etc?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I puree thawed peas, pellets or flake, even throw in some hair algae, and mix in after pureeing, artemia (newly hatched brine shrimp)I find the movement of the artemia elicitss a feeding response from the fry, and they then try to eat anything shot in with the shrimp.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

FrankTheTank110183

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
I puree thawed peas, pellets or flake, even throw in some hair algae, and mix in after pureeing, artemia (newly hatched brine shrimp)I find the movement of the artemia elicitss a feeding response from the fry, and they then try to eat anything shot in with the shrimp.
Do you store the mixture in the fridge? How long does it last?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I only make a small amount to last a day, and make a new batch every day, only takes a few minutes. It is much better to feed lots os small feedings throughout the day than a few large ones.
I also let algae grow on all surfaces so the fry can graze in between.
And this works well withe the artemia, because they don't all hatch out at once, so a hatching container container of artemia eggs migh take a couple days to use.
I usually start the hatcheries every 2 days or so until the fry are totally weaned onto larger non-live food.

Even after a hatchery seems used up, I pour whats left into a container outside in the sun with some old water change water, and any unhatched eggs usually hatch, then grow a little and are used for snacks for older fry or small adults.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store