Feeding hot dogs to fish. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I can't seem to wrap my head around this. I feel like many people in the hobby must practice this in order to achieve something I am unaware of.

Maybe through the kind and knowledgable people here on mfk someone can explain how feeding a process meat to a fish is a good choice and definitely not causing any digestive or other issues.

Let's not forget that when talking healthy food for human consumption we would not consider a hot dog as being even remotely close to that of a healthy option. One main reason is the poor ingredients with loads of preservatives.

Thoughts?

I would suggest that any hobbyist doing this is in essence ignoring the needs of the animal which is imo animal cruelty. As a substitute for hot dogs, maybe hobbyist could feed some large carnivorous pellets or sticks. How about some fresh fish? Even shrimp with a nutritional additive is a good choice.

I do realize that these foods are not all natural options but far better suits for the animals imo.

Thanks for sharing your comments.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
Is this another knock at big rich? Although I don’t like the rescue nor their choices, it’s their fish to do whatever they please with, I mean who else is gonna take all those fish?and unless you plan to feed hotdogs yourself why start the debate?( to each their own). Most ppl I know who have fed hotdogs use turkey dogs, I wouldn’t do it nor would I recommend someone else do it but I have friends that have done it for years with no negative impact.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
If hypothetically I ran a large fish rescue service and occasionally fed hot dogs to large carnivorous fish I would consider it a cheap occasional treat. I wouldn't consider it a daily food and would feed other foods as a staple diet.
Why do you ask?

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
I dont think I would ever consider feeding hotdogs to anything, but then again I understand if feeding costs are an issue and it happens to be something readily available. In a pinch it might not be the worst thing.

That said, I'd probably research something better that's more sustainable. Hotdogs are not exactly cheap either.

If I was running a rescue I would probably look into running a huge feeder tank of sorts. Something that fed mainly on duckweed or perhaps work some kind of deal with a local fish market to keep the scraps for the fish.

Reactions: philipraposo1982

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The other thread was closed for a reason. You've snuck in another snide jab at the MFK population, hidden just well enough that you can practice your favorite sport; posting like a total jerk in the pretext of having an actual discussion, then playing the victim when your negativity is returned to you.

To answer the question; hotdogs are not a great food for fish, or anybody. A more appropriate answer would be for me to go on and explain the context of why the member you are obviously still talking about feeds turkey hotdogs sometimes to his many gigantic fish. But, there are 13 pages of that in the other thread, so that's where I'll leave it.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
So let me get this straight I make a post that is in no way an issue but yet you're calling me a jerk. Cool.

As a moderator on mfk I would think that being toxic is not part of your job description. I would vote to have you removed as a moderator but I know it's not going to do any good.

SwampFins

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2018
So let me get this straight I make a post that is in no way an issue but yet you're calling me a jerk. Cool.

I just saw your other thread.

You either did not read the comments, as what you're asking here has been already explained into detail

Or

You are just fishing for more negative comments that echo your opinion.

Which is it?

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
The previous thread was a place where people felt that they could bash me. proper feeding practices was never discussed on that thread in my opinion. my goal for this thread is to highlight that feeding anything else other than proper aquatic diet is not good practice. if you have nothing to contribute to the thread then I suggest you refrain from making any comment at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store