Feeding routine

DRC

Black Skirt Tetra
Original poster
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Real Name
Daymon Clayton
How often does everyone feed? I no longer have a bunch of small guys, but they are all still growing. I have Sunfish, a yellow perch and a bullhead probably all between 4”-7”. I want to maintain optimum growth without over polluting the tank. Do you’ll recommend once daily? Twice daily? Intentionally skipping a day? If you skip a day is there any increase in pestering each other? Also, does anyone think that the cooler temps for temperate fish leads to any slower of a metabolism than tropicals.?

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
Real Name
John W
Occupation
industrial Hydraulics
everyone does it differently. I feed once a day and randomly skip a day to keep them from getting fat. it usually doesn't seem to increase any aggression but with a catfish you never know when it will eat a tank mate. cooler water is usually associated with slower growth.

Jexnell

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
Vancouver, Wa.
Real Name
Sean
Occupation
Retired
I feed twice a day, skipping Sunday's. I have just two fish now but both are young/still growing.

Reactions: DRC

AnthonyFish20

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Real Name
Anthony
everyone does it differently. I feed once a day and randomly skip a day to keep them from getting fat. it usually doesn't seem to increase any aggression but with a catfish you never know when it will eat a tank mate. cooler water is usually associated with slower growth.
I do the same except sometimes skip 2 days

Reactions: DRC

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Somewhere on the water
Real Name
Sean
Occupation
College (studying Fisheries)
I feed frozen once a day. Occasionally I’ll also do a dry feeding in the morning for the fish that will take flake and pellets.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Thomas Lindsey Sr.
I feed large fish every other day but feed small to medium once a day.

Reactions: islandguy11

TheReefer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Real Name
Mike
I feed my reef tank every day, about a half cube of frozen food and a pinch of crushed up pellets for the corals. I would say small feedings of pellets and frozen food once or twice a day would be the way I WOULD DO IT but like others said, you could do it once every other day or so, I just have found feeding once or twice a day to be effective.

PYRU

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Compton
It depends. My bigger cichlids I feed 4-5 times a week. Lurker puffers 1-2 times a week.

If I had your stock I'd feed 5 times a week moderately. Just enough that feeding aggression declines slightly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store