FEMALE agressive to males

RuckusLV

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2005
BuckTown
So does anyone have information on this? I have a female ray that is biting my male rays. I have been noticing in the past 2 months that both of my males are getting banged up. I have 4 females in and only the males are being bitten. Is this common? What does this mean? Everything I hear or read the males are usually doing the biting. When I am watching them in the tank I see NO aggression. The males are about 12” and females are about 14” everyone is super active and they all eat like monsters. Why are my males being targeted?

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Install a camera to monitor them when your not watching to see if you can catch the aggressive ray in the act. Are the males claspers fully rolled?

RuckusLV

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2005
BuckTown
Install a camera to monitor them when your not watching to see if you can catch the aggressive ray in the act. Are the males claspers fully rolled?
Yeah, I was thinking that too, No the males claspers have not rolled yet.

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Yeah, I was thinking that too, No the males claspers have not rolled yet.
If you can catch the aggressive ray in the act you can separate the ray. Maybe try feeding a little more? What is your feeding schedule for your rays? I had a female bd that was biting and I just added a small feeding in the morning and she stopped now I have her back on once a day. She is a very spunky ray always been like that since she was a pup she would steal food from my larger marble motoro.

House of Barbs

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2018
Essex, UK
Rays sometimes have a tendency to bite other rays to force them to move to investigate if there is any food they can steal from underneath them. It’s just in their nature sometimes to be bitey regardless of sex

• Haha
Reactions: Matteus

RuckusLV

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2005
BuckTown
If you can catch the aggressive ray in the act you can separate the ray. Maybe try feeding a little more? What is your feeding schedule for your rays? I had a female bd that was biting and I just added a small feeding in the morning and she stopped now I have her back on once a day. She is a very spunky ray always been like that since she was a pup she would steal food from my larger marble motoro.
Thanks man! I feed once a day in the morning. I will try feeding more as well as install a camera

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
Aggression in rays can be any combination of males and females. Male on male, male on female, female on female, etc. sometimes it’s specific to the individual or sometimes the situation. I had a female marble that for the first two years of her life would nip everyone, after that she matured and stopped all together.

It’s normal to have some especially as they get bigger. Just watch them and separate as needed if it’s excessive and they get stressed.

Reactions: Matteus

Rodrigohmachado

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2023
Number 1 - What is about the rolled claspers? It is sign of sexual maturity?
Number 2- i have a falk ray, that is going on top and biting the others... is it ok!?
image.jpgThey got these white type of bruises.

here is the son of b
image.jpgimage.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store