Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Female BG JD

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by jhook, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:01 PM.

1. jhook

jhook MFK Members

Jeremy
      Yesterday at 8:45 PM
      Hello Everyone,
      I'm going to setup a Jack Dempsey breeding project. I am still in the planning stages now but will have everything setup by May after my fishroom gets up and running. Plan is to have 5 75g home tanks for the fish, with a 75g and a 125g growout.
      I have two Male BG JD's (Both from The Wet Spot, ordered as a group) but don't have any females. Does anyone know where I could get at least one, preferably two Female BG JD's? I've looked around my LFS, but almost all they have JD wise are rescues and I'm leery of getting starter fish from Petsmart or Petco.
      Thanks!

Jexnell and tarheel96 like this.
    2. Athletic_Amph

Athletic_Amph MFK Members

Lou
      Wednesday at 3:07 PM
      you will more than likely not find anyyy BG Jacks at a local chain store. Your best bet would be aquabid or members on here. @YankeeJack@YankeeJack has some amazing JDs as well and may be able to help you out.

I purchased my BGJD breeding group from "Tarmack" on aquabid, his youtube accout is "fishonaquabid". I also just purchased two small platinum JDs from him.

jhook and tarheel96 like this.
    3. tarheel96

tarheel96 MFK Members

Mike
      Today at 12:51 AM
      What size are your BG JDs now? Do you have any pictures?

4. jhook

jhook MFK Members

Jeremy
      91581109-64B5-48E2-B441-42B6693CBFA7.jpeg 0548327F-8937-4C36-A7E6-49FD7CFAC615.jpeg E1E15920-E180-4CCE-BC3C-0461B9877504.jpeg Thanks, I’ll try on here, in the marketplace, or in this breeding folder.

My biggest Jack (pictured above) is around 6 or 7 inches and is an amazing color.

I’ll get pictures of the other one when he quits zooming around the tank. I have them in different tanks as the one pictured above was getting aggressive with him.

tarheel96 likes this.
    5. jhook

jhook MFK Members

Jeremy
      I figured that, I was just hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that I would run across some good looking jacks, but they usually look pathetic and sad. Not something that I would want to start a project with at all. So, the search continues. Hopefully I can get some good stock from a member on here.

6. tarheel96

tarheel96 MFK Members

Mike
      Today at 12:51 AM
      That's a great looking Jack. He's similar in body shape to the JD in my profile/avatar pic ... not very tall and more elongated. That's the shape I prefer in JDs. Yours has more of a hump and fuller fins but it's closer looking to mine than most I see.

Did wetspot call yours BGJDs? I only see regular JDs, electric blue, and platinum JDs. The "Cenote Escondido" looks like a blue gene compared to the regular JD. Is that what you have?

http://www.wetspotgallery.com/p525829774

Mine was a rescue BTW. When I got him with the other three they looked terrible ... no color.
      20151201_142949-1-1179x611.jpg

He was about 4" then and about 7.5" below.
      1472153267687-1-1359x1042-1.jpg

jhook likes this.
    7. jhook

jhook MFK Members

Jeremy
      Nice Jack there! And a great rescue. Yep, Wet Spot said they were BGJD when I bought them. They were in the same online section as their EBJD.
      I like his shape as well, more torpedo like, but that could very well change as he gets older.
      It is great to see him shake and shimmy at the other Jack I had in there, but then he got aggressive and I had to separate them before he killed the other one. Funny thing is that they are the same age and raised together, but the other male is half his size. Maybe the other one will catch up now that they are separated.

8. Jexnell

Jexnell MFK Members

Sean
      Yesterday at 11:10 PM
      I have a normal female, and EB male that should be breeding soonish....I sure I will have some fry if you want. All will be BG since dad is an EB. I got them in person from The Wet Spot in late May. So late Nov makes them 6 months old, when they hit sexual maturity.

Just pay the shipping, can have for free.
      Here is mom and dad
      20171110_194534.jpg

tarheel96 likes this.
    9. jhook

jhook MFK Members

Jeremy
      Jexnell, that would be awesome! Let me know when they are ready and I’ll gladly pay shipping cost. They’re a good looking pair.
      You just made my day man.

10. Benno87

Benno87 MFK Members

Ben
      Yesterday at 10:04 PM
      That's awesome of you to help out a fellow fish keeper, good karma comin your way mate.

jhook likes this.