Few questions on beardeds and axolotls

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
So in the next few months I want to either get another crested or a bearded dragon. First question, which one would you prefer? I have a 50 gallon reptile tank soon gonna be open.

Next question: What foods can beardies eat? can they eat avocado, bananas, raspberries or blackberries?

2: is a tank simply without a heater cold enough for an axoltol?
3: is 50 gallons enough for a beardie for life? if not is a 75?
4: are black worms the best option for feeding axolotls or something else?
5: I know not a question, but sorry this is so random lol
6:Beardies need a low humidity right? what is a good range also.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What are the dimensions of the 50?
I would say beardie, because I have a crested gecko and would want to try something new.
Most beardies will eat just about any vegetable, just make sure it’s reptile safe. They also eat prepared foods if I’m correct.
Simply non heated is probably good for an axolotl
Considering a bearded dragon gets 2 feet, I would say they need a 6x3 ft enclosure
Not sure about the food for axolotls
Beardie humidity shouldn’t go above 30, and basking temp is around 100 (i think)

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
What are the dimensions of the 50?
I would say beardie, because I have a crested gecko and would want to try something new.
Most beardies will eat just about any vegetable, just make sure it’s reptile safe. They also eat prepared foods if I’m correct.
Simply non heated is probably good for an axolotl
Considering a bearded dragon gets 2 feet, I would say they need a 6x3 ft enclosure
Not sure about the food for axolotls
Beardie humidity shouldn’t go above 30, and basking temp is around 100 (i think)
Beardies can eat avocado but just not the pit or skin, only the meat of it. The skin is hard to digest and can potentially cause impaction of the intestines. Raspberries, blackberries and banana's are fine just in small quantities, just feed as a treat to avoid obesity. As for a 50g I would say if it's a standard tank that it's just a bit too small, my tank I hand mine in was 2ft w/2f t/4ft l. Beardies are semi-arborial reptiles that enjoy just as much time on the ground as they do up high so ya want a good mix of both for a beardie to be happy. Also while beardies may come from the desserts/scrubland and arid forests, they still need to be bathed every 2 weeks. Generally that part is pretty easy if ya have a bathtub. Just fill with some lukewarm water, 70-80°F, till it's only got maybe an 1-1½in deep. Just enough to cover their back while they can keep their head out of the water without struggling to do so. Just leave em to soak for a good 15-20mins and it'll help him replenish his water supply along with flush out his bowels and loosen up stuck shed.

Now as for the axolotl I would recommend allowing it to rest on concrete if possible. Axolotls like their temps to hover around 50-65°F as they originate from a cold mountain lake in mexico. With these guys you'll atleast want a 40g long, they don't like to swim much and prefer to walk instead. As for food ya can feed em a large variety of things honestly. Black worms, blood worms, earth worms, wax worms, dunia roaches, crickets, small barbless fish, shrimp, clams, oysters, squid, ect. Basically as long as ya can feed it to your fish the axolotl will most likely eat it. I would recommend getting it earth worms, super worms and dubia roaches for it's main diet, maybe some of the others listed as treats every now and then. Also no sand or gravel in the tank as they are suction feeders and will eat it. I recommend either some nice flat slate rocks, river stones or bare bottom.

P.s. beardies tend to max out at 16-18in, it's pretty rare but ya can find some that do get upto 24in tho.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Beardies can eat avocado but just not the pit or skin, only the meat of it. The skin is hard to digest and can potentially cause impaction of the intestines. Raspberries, blackberries and banana's are fine just in small quantities, just feed as a treat to avoid obesity. As for a 50g I would say if it's a standard tank that it's just a bit too small, my tank I hand mine in was 2ft w/2f t/4ft l. Beardies are semi-arborial reptiles that enjoy just as much time on the ground as they do up high so ya want a good mix of both for a beardie to be happy. Also while beardies may come from the desserts/scrubland and arid forests, they still need to be bathed every 2 weeks. Generally that part is pretty easy if ya have a bathtub. Just fill with some lukewarm water, 70-80°F, till it's only got maybe an 1-1½in deep. Just enough to cover their back while they can keep their head out of the water without struggling to do so. Just leave em to soak for a good 15-20mins and it'll help him replenish his water supply along with flush out his bowels and loosen up stuck shed.

Now as for the axolotl I would recommend allowing it to rest on concrete if possible. Axolotls like their temps to hover around 50-65°F as they originate from a cold mountain lake in mexico. With these guys you'll atleast want a 40g long, they don't like to swim much and prefer to walk instead. As for food ya can feed em a large variety of things honestly. Black worms, blood worms, earth worms, wax worms, dunia roaches, crickets, small barbless fish, shrimp, clams, oysters, squid, ect. Basically as long as ya can feed it to your fish the axolotl will most likely eat it. I would recommend getting it earth worms, super worms and dubia roaches for it's main diet, maybe some of the others listed as treats every now and then. Also no sand or gravel in the tank as they are suction feeders and will eat it. I recommend either some nice flat slate rocks, river stones or bare bottom.

P.s. beardies tend to max out at 16-18in, it's pretty rare but ya can find some that do get upto 24in tho.
I just did a whole bunch of reading on beardies diets and It says avocado is toxic so I think i'll avoid it and maybe grow some herbs and lettuce for when I get him. There's a petco that has has these beardies apparently for 3 years so they're like 35$ Do you think a 75 would be good for life??

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
We have 2 female beardies and they are housed in a 140g aquarium that is 72x18. They need to be able to stretch out and have room to move about. They do like to climb. As juveniles they are mostly carnivorous but become more vegetarian as they age. We feed a beardie specific prepared food that looks like Cheetos puffs, freeze dried meal worms and fresh veggies. They get spritzed once a day for moisture. I think their enclosure is around 90F.
Beardies do not usually like to be housed together. With cooler temps in our basement they are mostly sedentary right now. We do have an extra tank that we use out when the aggression gets out of hand.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Beardies do not regrow their tails. Once lost it is gone forever. Both of ours are rescues and the first came from a 5g that was so rancid that even though it was in the 40f ish range I had to drive with the windows down.
Bulbasaur.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I just did a whole bunch of reading on beardies diets and It says avocado is toxic so I think i'll avoid it and maybe grow some herbs and lettuce for when I get him. There's a petco that has has these beardies apparently for 3 years so they're like 35$ Do you think a 75 would be good for life??
Ahh yeah makes sense. I knew the pit was toxic but didn't know that beardies couldn't eat the meat of it either. I would avoid lettuce as part of it's main diet especially iceberg, too watery and not enough nutrients. Collard greens, broccoli, bell peppers, butter lettuce (nutritious then most other types, also tastes better imo), carrots, rosemary, basil, thyme. All are good greens to feed a beardie, the main thing is is making it a wide and varied diet. As explained earlier tho juvinile beardies will need a 80% insect and 20% plant based diet till it is roughly 6-7in and then it'll need to be converted, over time, to a 40% insect and 60% plant based diet.

As for the 75g I'd say it's a toss up depending on the dimensions of it. If it's got a decent floor space and height then it should be good. Personally I'd just make your own. There's plenty of DIY vids on youtube on how to hand make a cheap beardie tank.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Beardies do not regrow their tails. Once lost it is gone forever. Both of ours are rescues and the first came from a 5g that was so rancid that even though it was in the 40f ish range I had to drive with the windows down.
View attachment 1442850
Not a bad looking lil beardie despite missing part of its tail. Any idea on gender?

Btw this here was my beardie (Ed). He passed away last year sadly so his tank has just been sitting empty out in the garage, been debating on whether I want to get another one or not. But yeah I learned first hand not to house 2 beardies together after Curly bit Ed's foot all the way thru the bone. So he sadly had to have it amputated and ended up as this big ol mean 3 footed lizard that loved to bite ya as hard as he could.

P.s. Ed was close to giant size at 18in while Curly was a dwarf for some reason at only 12in.

cameringo_20190502_225027.jpg

cameringo_20190331_195849.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Not a bad looking lil beardie despite missing part of its tail. Any idea on gender?

Btw this here was my beardie (Ed). He passed away last year sadly so his tank has just been sitting empty out in the garage, been debating on whether I want to get another one or not. But yeah I learned first hand not to house 2 beardies together after Curly bit Ed's foot all the way thru the bone. So he sadly had to have it amputated and ended up as this big ol mean 3 footed lizard that loved to bite ya as hard as he could.

P.s. Ed was close to giant size at 18in while Curly was a dwarf for some reason at only 12in.

View attachment 1442851

View attachment 1442852
Venusaur and Bulbasaur are both female

• Haha
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store