Fiddler Crab Questions

Randy West

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2017
Oklahoma
I have a fiddler crab and built an underwater habitat out of a large mouth wine bottle for it. My question is how much air should I be pumping in? A small bubble comes out the mouth every hour or so.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a fiddler crab and built an underwater habitat out of a large mouth wine bottle for it. My question is how much air should I be pumping in? A small bubble comes out the mouth every hour or so.

A airstone will suffice but I personally would add a island for the crab to leave the water once in a while also do water changes often use a good water dechlorinator also.

Reactions: J. H. and kno4te

Randy West

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2017
Oklahoma
A airstone will suffice but I personally would add a island for the crab to leave the water once in a while also do water changes often use a good water dechlorinator also.
Thank you. I have an airstone in the bottle with substrate from the tank. Gravel is not ideal for a crab i was told but will suffice for now. When i had the air with no gang valves it seemes quarter size air bubbles every 2 seconds or so. I ran it thru my gang valve and turned down the pressure to pea sized air bubble every hour approx. So what is ideal air displacement/air pressure inside the "crabitat"

Randy West

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2017
Oklahoma
Thank you. I have an airstone in the bottle with substrate from the tank. Gravel is not ideal for a crab i was told but will suffice for now. When i had the air with no gang valves it seemes quarter size air bubbles every 2 seconds or so. I ran it thru my gang valve and turned down the pressure to pea sized air bubble every hour approx. So what is ideal air displacement/air pressure inside the "crabitat"
Also it seems the crab looks almost black in the bottle and he has tiny air bubbles on him. Any ideas?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Also it seems the crab looks almost black in the bottle and he has tiny air bubbles on him. Any ideas?

I read your original post to quickly that I missed the in aquarium habitat lol. How long have you had the Fiddler Crab in the bottle ?

Randy West

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2017
Oklahoma
I read your original post to quickly that I missed the in aquarium habitat lol. How long have you had the Fiddler Crab in the bottle ?
I just put the bottle in 2 days ago. I noticed he was going in today after i dialed down the air pressure. Ive had the crab 4 months and just realized theyre SEMI-aquatic. He can go in and out as he pleases (I assume he as gender, IDK)

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just put the bottle in 2 days ago. I noticed he was going in today after i dialed down the air pressure. Ive had the crab 4 months and just realized theyre SEMI-aquatic. He can go in and out as he pleases (I assume he as gender, IDK)

Just make sure it comes out and is eating. Yes the male has the one large claw.

Reactions: Randy West
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store