film photography?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...or in other words: real photoraphy, using a real camera and real photographic film. It seems like yesterday...to some of us :)...that this was the only option available to us. When digital photography appeared, serious photographers pooh-poohed it as a passing fad, or something to which only the rankest amateur would stoop. If you wanted to produce beautiful images...you used film.

Fast forward a couple years...or decades...and film seems pretty much dead for the vast majority of users. The inevitable advances in digital photography combined with its convenience and cost savings have essentially...and rightfully!...killed film. I assume that film is still used by the most avid purists, but they probably use it because of its limitations and challenges, rather than any perceived or real benefits to the end product.

I have recently started to consider finally getting an actual camera, as opposed to relying upon a smartphone. I was a fairly avid photographer when I was in school, and had a nice little darkroom set-up in my parents' basement. To me, the creation and manipulation of the image in the darkroom was the appeal; putting the paper into the solution and watching an image magically appear in front of my eyes was a thrill that never got old. When I moved out on my own, it was years before I could devote that kind of time, space and money to the hobby, so it sort of fell by the wayside. By the time that I could even consider getting back into it...film was on its way out.

I know that creating photographs...as opposed to just taking pictures...would still be enjoyable to me. But I want control over exposure, I want manual focus, I want to do the work myself, rather than having some microscopic chip inside a camera figure out what is needed. I admit that one of the biggest drawbacks to film photography...i.e. the cost and inconvenience of constantly loading, unloading and reloading rolls of film with only 36 exposures per roll, and then needing to pay for the development of every shot I take...is something I won't miss. Imagine: you had to take the pictures, and then pay to have them developed/processed and wait days or weeks for this to occur...and you had no idea what they looked like until after you finally got them back! I have grown accustomed to taking dozens of shots of something in order to capture just the right one, quickly reviewing and deleting as I go to get a few good ones; yeah, I'm spoiled. :)

So, I was intrigued when I received a promotional email from Kodak, pushing their new film camera. I figured that this giant of the photo industry was about to produce just what I wanted: a real camera, rather than a computer with a lens on the front.

Nope! In what seems to be a stunningly stupid marketing move, they are making a number of different 35mm cameras...all of which seem to be cheap plastic, with literally no user controls whatsoever. Fixed focus...no adjustments for exposure or shutter speed...no mention of lens material, which probably means it's the cheapest lowest-grade plastic they can source. These things start at less than $20US! I haven't looked at the price of film...or for that matter, how available it even is...but I can guarantee that the cost of a 36-exposure roll of film plus processing is going to be way over twenty bucks!

Who the hell is going to buy and use one of these wretched things? They seem to be the ultimate expression of the worst of both worlds; all the disadvantages of both, with none of the advantages of either. Am I missing something obvious here?

Any comments, from either real people or idiot AI's, will be appreciated. :)

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I took a photography class so long ago, I don't remember when or where it was, but I do remember developing black and white images in a dark room. I also remember waiting to get color prints developed and have scads of negatives collected over many years. I have a Nikon camera - top of the line 50+ years ago--it's been obsolete for many years now. I've had a few digital cameras through the years - none of them compare to my smart phone cameras. I just need a camera that records events in my life as they happen. Samsung Galaxy's latest and greatest has a 200 MP camera. Unfortunately, I bought my phone last December, and a month later the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra came out. My S22 Ultra only has 108 MP, but it is still better than anything else I've had previously. Next year the S24 Ultra comes out, and scuttlebutt says the cameras will be even more impressive.

MPs are really important to me. It was really hard to get action shots with a digital camera. Especially frustrating was missing wakeboard jumps. All I could do was follow and try to click the camera when they were at the maximum height of their jump. Ususally I missed completely.

1699569456384.png

Now I just take videos on my smart phone and get still shots from the videos. With enough MPs, the stills are satisfactory to me.
1699569615087.png

1699569733241.png

1699570452933.png

I like being able to take a picture and send if off the same minute. I have no intention of ever getting a conventional camera again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store