Filter Question

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Wouldn't hurt to add 4 undergavel filters designed for 30-35g tanks as well. They make great supplements and raise your O2 levels, also cheap.

I3u11he4d

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Michigan
jsodwi said:
Was does everyone recommend on a 150 gal. with some real messy eaters
either a wet/dry sump or 2 large canisters.the sump would be cheaper with less maintiance.I'd have sumps on all my tanks if i had room,you can hide equipment in them i.e.heaters,thermometers,etc.,put plants in them to help with the nitrates,put large amounts of chemical filtration or sponges for bio-filtration.as you probably see there much more flexible to the needs of the tank and fish within. :thumbsup:

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
jsodwi said:
Was does everyone recommend on a 150 gal. with some real messy eaters
If you were wanting to not spend too much but require good quality filtration i would say Penn-plax Cascade 1500 it's for a 200 gal aquarium but i always like top over filtrate.
Or you could go for the Penn-plax Cascade 1200 that's for a 150 gal bang on !

If you would like to spend high money for high quallity gear EHEIM REALLY GOOD I LOVE EHEIM IT@S THE DOG'S BOLLOCKS MATE

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I would go with 4x AquaClear 110. They are cheap and easy maintanence. Remove the carbon, and replace all 4 with an extra bag of BioMax ceramic media.

If you want to hastle with Canister filters, they can be more effecient at times.

Undergravel filters are effecient, but can be a timebomb in the making. They also don't have a great aesthetic appeal.

Bio-Wheel filters are great, but for a heavy bio-load, I dont think it can host enough beneficial bacteria on the wheels alone. You could also modify these and make them more effecient by adding ceramic bio-media.

A wet-dry and a sump are likely the most effecient for a high bio-load. If you do not keep good maintenance on the wet-dry, they can be a ticking time bomb just like unmaintained canister filters and undergravel filters. If you add a sump, it will help because you are increasing gallonage. However, you will still have to add a method of filtration within the sump, and maintain it as well..

Good Luck!

Don't forget, combining any of these methods can be effecient as well! Just remember to keep your filtration systems clean :)

Miles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store