Filter Sock Conversion

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Here’s my weekend update:

The second set of filter socks lasted just fine up to water change day. However, I didn’t replace them when doing my water change. Instead, I left them in to catch everything that got stirred up during the water change. I also fed my fish yesterday, so they were getting a lot of the “mess” that’s created when the fish are feeding. I checked them today and one of the main socks had become so clogged that some water was overflowing out of the top. The other was significantly clogged up, but was not yet overflowing. A few minutes later, I had the old ones out and the new ones in, and all is good again.

I will definitely not ever setup another sump without using filter socks.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Here’s my weekend update:

The second set of filter socks lasted just fine up to water change day. However, I didn’t replace them when doing my water change. Instead, I left them in to catch everything that got stirred up during the water change. I also fed my fish yesterday, so they were getting a lot of the “mess” that’s created when the fish are feeding. I checked them today and one of the main socks had become so clogged that some water was overflowing out of the top. The other was significantly clogged up, but was not yet overflowing. A few minutes later, I had the old ones out and the new ones in, and all is good again.

I will definitely not ever setup another sump without using filter socks.
I wonder how much more efficient 2 larger socks would be vs 3 smaller ones. How long are they ?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I wonder how much more efficient 2 larger socks would be vs 3 smaller ones. How long are they ?
To be clear, my third sock is on my e-drain and really doesn’t see any flow. The two main drains handle all the flow.

My socks are the 4” by 14” long.

I just washed them today. I threw them in the washer and set it to it’s most heavy duty setting with a bit of bleach and second rinse. They came out clean as new!

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I want to use my acrylic 150 for a sump again. It has quite a lip on it and i am wondering what the best way to get socks hung would be

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I want to use my acrylic 150 for a sump again. It has quite a lip on it and i am wondering what the best way to get socks hung would be
How big is the lip on it? You can always custom make your own sock holders from various materials. The ones I bought might be able to squeeze over a lip that is 1” wide.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
you can use egg crate/lighting diffuser or small pvc pipes to make a sock holder. With some elbows and say half inch pipes you can make a frame and just pop socks in or out easily. drill holes in the pvc so it doesn't float

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
you can use egg crate/lighting diffuser or small pvc pipes to make a sock holder. With some elbows and say half inch pipes you can make a frame and just pop socks in or out easily. drill holes in the pvc so it doesn't float
Do you mean a free standing sock holder that sits on legs in the sump?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Do you mean a free standing sock holder that sits on legs in the sump?

Exactly. Small enough so the plastic rim of the sock sits on the top of the frame and the sock itself inside. Can fill the bottom of the frame with sand to hold it down or just drill some holes

images.png

Reactions: celebrist

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I use Sodium percarbonate in the washing machine for my socks.. probably the same ingrediant in your formula .. buy mine off amazon. I turn socks inside out and wash.. been doing it for 2 years no issues... I'm sensitive to bleach fumes.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Wanted to provide an update:

I am still absolutely loving my filter socks. I actually bought eight more socks and plan on replacing them 24 hrs after each feeding and 24 hrs after the weekend water change. Since I only feed every three days, I should be able to go two to three weeks without needing to wash them in between. My entire system is much cleaner. The water in the tank is clearer and the sump does not have a buildup of detritus in it anymore.

I truly cannot recommend this setup enough to anyone that is looking for efficient and effective mechanical filtration. If you go with one of the holders I got and a few filter socks then you could have it done for less than $30. I am about $110 into my setup because I got three holders and 16 filter socks, but it sure makes maintenance easy and keeps my water quality much higher.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store