Filtering my 77 gallon

nintri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2006
Canada
This forum is amazing! I am learning so much. Thank you.

I am using a Fluval 404 canister filter. No one seems to mention this type of filter.

I have a 77 gallon tank with 7 discus, 2 bristle nose plecos, 5 corycats, and a handful of small tetras. I have two large bunches of live plants in two planter rocks and a VERY small amount of gravel.

Any experience with this filter? Any suggestions on how much of the different types of media to use (foam, carbon, white donuts (can't remember name), bioballs)? I had been rinsing out all of the media weekly but I am now wondering if that is washing away all of my good bacteria.

How often should I be replacing the different medias?

Should I run this filter at full speed? I know filtration is good but I don't want to make too much of a current for the fish.

This is one of those areas that I am getting different answers for so I am hoping for suggestions from Discus owners.

THX Scott

RedestWing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
Canton,michigan
I used the 404 on my 75 gallon Planted Discus tank a while back. Fluvals in my opinion are very good filters. I replaced my Sponges every 3-4 months, Bio-Rings and Pre-Filter every 5-6 months...... but I only changed a lil at a time or else you can cause some major problems. as for cleaning the Filter..... just use water from your tank to clean with. Tap water will kill any beneficial Bacteria you have. I ran my 404 at maybe 70%-75%. Some discus do not like alot of flow so just go by what your Discus will Tolerate. Mine liked alot of current after a while but at the start they hated it and always hid. By the way.... this is just IMO, but I would not use Carbon in the Filter if you do w/c like you should be but again thats IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store