Filtration for 135

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
I’m looking at a 135 g glass custom (55x22 footprint).
I currently have an one year old FX4. I would prefer to stay away from adding another canister due to maintenance. Maybe a big HOB or something internal. As last resort I will consider swapping the fx4 for an fx6.
The inhabitants will be 6 discus, L027 xingu panaque, L024 Cactus pleco, few others small plecos (L239, 333, etc) , cardinals .
I know the bioload wouldn't be exactly small and I’d like to hear your thoughts. Thanks

NCHornet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2012
NC
I prefer to use a sump on anything larger than 100 gal and I also like to run a canister as well just in case one failed. Has worked great for me and nothing is more versatile than a sump. Just my .02
NCH

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I have a 6 foot long 135 and run either two or three Aqua Clear 110s depending upon quantity and size of fish.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You can keep heaters, airstones, stray fish and plants in a sump. Not possible with cannisters.

Sump pump: any brand will work.
Canister: you buy their parts or nothing.

Sump increases your water supply a lot and isn't pressurized. Less leakage worries. No gaskets to damage.
It's a total no-brainer for me, particularly on a heavily stocked system.

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
Thanks all. I did build a sump for my old 315 but it was acrylic and had an overflow. Not sure how I feel about drilling glass.
I know it’s the right way to do it, but I’m trying to find a second best alternative

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I love the 55gl sump on my 135. I had to run two hob filters for a little while when my pump burned up, but they just aren’t nearly efficient enough for me.

Reactions: BichirKing

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
There are worse solutions. I've built several siphon overflow systems, and they work fine. I do prefer to drill the tank, but I have two tanks with tempered glass that will crumble. If your tank isn't tempered it will be easy to drill because the glass is thick. You just need a drill motor, a diamond hole saw, and a wooden template to clamp on the tank. You need patience and a little water.

Thin glass is the worst. Don't ever drill a ten. It's difficult to even cut the glass, it's so thin. A 135 won't have this issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store