Filtration for new 120g

AR115

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
Hey guys we started with a 55g 2 months ago, then a 75g a month ago both doing fine now. I was just gifted a new 120g Aqueon tank and had a few questions about filtration. My other 2 tanks (55 has 2 tidal 75 hobs and the 75g has 2 tidal 110 hobs, both also have sponge filters)....I have never used or have any idea how to use a canister filter so was wondering if we absolutely needed to get one for the new 120 or if a few of the bigger hobs and sponges would work with the new 120. We have had zero issues with the seachem tidal hobs and are very easy to use but getting into the bigger tanks I would assume most would say to go with a canister?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys we started with a 55g 2 months ago, then a 75g a month ago both doing fine now. I was just gifted a new 120g Aqueon tank and had a few questions about filtration. My other 2 tanks (55 has 2 tidal 75 hobs and the 75g has 2 tidal 110 hobs, both also have sponge filters)....I have never used or have any idea how to use a canister filter so was wondering if we absolutely needed to get one for the new 120 or if a few of the bigger hobs and sponges would work with the new 120. We have had zero issues with the seachem tidal hobs and are very easy to use but getting into the bigger tanks I would assume most would say to go with a canister?
You could do a few HOB filters like Aquaclear 110's but a Sump or Cannister Filters would be better options.

Reactions: Ruturaj

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I don't like cans at all so I'd go with a couple ac110s. These are super easy to mod to make more efficient. By mod I mean slap an intake sponge on the intake and cut the sponge it comes with in thirds and use a third on the bottom and put the bio media of your choice on top of the sponge and your done. Like also said above water changes will make or break you.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Imo you'll always get multiple answers on filtration. It's all about preference and how you set them up. Contrary to what most people think it's not all about water turnover, media type and setup are big factors, media volume by water turnover are another. People also oversimplify water changes-- not going to try and explain it all here, but the short version is most people remove nitrates through water changes, I like big water changes myself, but you can set up filters/media to support the anaerobic bacteria that remove nitrates, what some people call a "complete cycle" with nitrogen gas as the final product vs a "partial cycle" with nitrates as the final product-- the only thing about it is setting up a filter that way takes a lot of, and the right kind of, bio-media, not cheap and not something most people think much about-- and the nitrate removing part of the cycle takes months instead of weeks to achieve. A lower tech option is plants for removing nitrates, then there's algae scrubbers, etc.

My point is most people are pretty conventional with filters and maintenance, but there's more than one way, from simple and conventional to more sophisticated.

The Seachem Tidal filters are a well thought out design and seem to be well made, I have one (Tidal 110), my only filter right now that's not a canister. If I'd discovered the Tidals sooner I might have more of them by now. The 110 Tidal is intended to rival the Aquaclear 110, I believe, don't know how it compares in total media or real tank capacity, but they have an advantage over the Aquaclear in priming with the submersed motor, none of the issues with restarting after a power outage. I know, a lot of verbiage most people won't care about, but I only say it all because most people aren't familiar with the Tidals or options for setting them up.

Imo you could easily do Tidal filters on a 120, three, possibly two, depending on how heavily stocked, how you set up and maintain the tank and filters, etc. But there are plenty of options according to budget and preference, like one good sized canister, a medium canister and a Tidal, all Tidals, etc. I've run a fast, small filter or a bigger, slower filter on the same size tank with similar results, aside from the smaller filter needing more frequent maintenance and the fact that a larger filter set up properly will reduce nitrates.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Ah, almost forgot-- another advantage of the Seachem filter over the Aqauclear, and most other hang-on filters, is the removable media container. Brilliant, all power filters should do this.

...No, I'm not affiliated with Seachem. :)

AR115

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2020
Awesome, ive used the tidals on all the tanks that we have so im familiar with them and find no issues and very easy to maintain. With currently having two tidal 110s on our 75g ill probably do the same with the 120 or maybe even add a 3rd if need be. I stay on top of water changes etc so that wont be an issue. Thanks for the input as always much appreciated. We got hooked as soon as we set up our first tank and seam to be adding tanks monthly since the start and are beyond excited to get this 120 up and running still debating on stocking

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Awesome, ive used the tidals on all the tanks that we have so im familiar with them and find no issues and very easy to maintain. With currently having two tidal 110s on our 75g ill probably do the same with the 120 or maybe even add a 3rd if need be. I stay on top of water changes etc so that wont be an issue. Thanks for the input as always much appreciated. We got hooked as soon as we set up our first tank and seam to be adding tanks monthly since the start and are beyond excited to get this 120 up and running still debating on stocking
So far I really like the Tidal filter, knew nothing about them until I looked at enough reviews to convince me to get one. Time will tell how long they last, but multiple sources say the company making them for Seachem makes good stuff. Got it for a 50 gal, replaces a filter I retired as a backup. I'm certain the 110 would handle a bigger tank the way I set up and use filters, but I went ahead and got the 110 in case one of my canisters ever fail. I've stayed away from Aquaclears only because of the restart issues they have, considering we get frequent power outages where I live.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So far I really like the Tidal filter, knew nothing about them until I looked at enough reviews to convince me to get one. Time will tell how long they last, but multiple sources say the company making them for Seachem makes good stuff. Got it for a 50 gal, replaces a filter I retired as a backup. I'm certain the 110 would handle a bigger tank the way I set up and use filters, but I went ahead and got the 110 in case one of my canisters ever fail. I've stayed away from Aquaclears only because of the restart issues they have, considering we get frequent power outages where I live.
Yes agree have Aquaclear Filters and don't like that they will not purge once the power comes back on but my Sump pump and Marineland filter no issues.

Reactions: neutrino
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store