Filtration options

Vice_3

Feeder Fish
Mar 30, 2017
About to start a 3000 gallon build, and was wondering what guys have been using to filter that amount of water ( pool sand filters with a large bio set up along side it) etc. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
If possible i would go with a beadfilter of some sort then some large well build diy trickle filters

Reactions: tlindsey
Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
For something of that size I personally would just do an overflow. A lot easier to maintain, just have the water go through sponges and then through some lava rock and then get pumped back into the tank. In an overflow you can also have a heater, sterilizer, and other equipment that you want hidden

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Is this a pond or aquarium? What do you plan to keep? With that much water volume you may want to consider the pond filter route.

I personally like the closed loop filters with a backwash system for big tanks. Takes away the pain of handwashing the many mats or filter socks required. Filter function is also not sensitive to water lost/level.
Pressurized system can handle more flow and higher volume. Consider the turn rate (GPH) required for particle removal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store