Filtration plants

Aqua 4k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
Hi,I am looking for species of plants that can help in the filtration.
On another theme i ser the potos, limnobium laevigatum and the phyllanthus fluitans.
Do you now another plant that can help too with the filtration?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you mean by filtering, acting as a sponge for nutrients like nitrate?
As far as terrestrials go, just about any tropical plant from wet areas will do. I am using Diffeanbachia and Pothos (among others) in the photo below on the surface of my 180 gal tank.
39F0E1CA-31C4-4CDE-B799-CB5DA4BCD0C0_1_201_a.jpeg
As far as marginal plants (semi-submerged) below is Papyrus, in my 125 gal sump/refugium.
E1BC9986-B611-47F1-8B93-8338E6C22240_1_201_a.jpeg
The top portion of the plant, needs to grow above the water line (as in the sump above)
The roots are submerged.
7E981F7D-D31D-41AE-99F2-E57318BC0E94_1_201_a.jpeg
And of course all aquatic plants help somme degree.
But the plant mass must always far exceed the fish load (aquatic, terrestrial, and marginal) to be effective.
The sump below also contains a heavy growth of Vallisneria
A5AB1394-88B8-46BA-9A44-E092A46FB33B_1_201_a.jpeg
With my heavily planted sump and tank (and regular water changes), nitrates are kept below the 5ppm level
D8CA7278-2FD9-40F1-B922-8F93002F34A7_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The key seems to be density, if you want them to help with filtering nitrate there needs to be a whole lot of plants and they need to be actively growing (have strong enough light and nutrients). Buying a couple aquatic plants won't do much, having a tank that is thickly packed with them will.
Pothos can also be grown in a filter box above the tank, basically a flower pot with a water pump which drains the water back into the display, and has tons of pothos growing .

Aqua 4k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
If you mean by filtering, acting as a sponge for nutrients like nitrate?
As far as terrestrials go, just about any tropical plant from wet areas will do. I am using Diffeanbachia and Pothos (among others) in the photo below on the surface of my 180 gal tank.
View attachment 1474928
As far as marginal plants (semi-submerged) below is Papyrus, in my 125 gal sump/refugium.
View attachment 1474929
The top portion of the plant, needs to grow above the water line (as in the sump above)
The roots are submerged.
View attachment 1474930
And of course all aquatic plants help somme degree.
But the plant mass must always far exceed the fish load (aquatic, terrestrial, and marginal) to be effective.
The sump below also contains a heavy growth of Vallisneria
View attachment 1474931
With my heavily planted sump and tank (and regular water changes), nitrates are kept below the 5ppm level
View attachment 1474932
Thank you a lot!
I am going to save the planta yo say.
To buy It in a future.
Your plants looks great

Reactions: Deadeye

Aqua 4k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
The key seems to be density, if you want them to help with filtering nitrate there needs to be a whole lot of plants and they need to be actively growing (have strong enough light and nutrients). Buying a couple aquatic plants won't do much, having a tank that is thickly packed with them will.
Pothos can also be grown in a filter box above the tank, basically a flower pot with a water pump which drains the water back into the display, and has tons of pothos growing .
Yes,i know i am going to put a lot.
I was searching to make a little help to the filter to reduce the nitrates.
And obviusly for the esthetic
Thanks

Aqua 4k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
Also important to remember - Plants won’t replace the need for some water changes, even if with low fish biomass, the plants may get rid of much of the nitrate.
Yess i Know.
Im still goin to do the weekly water changes to the aquarium.
It's only to make a little help to reduce the nitrates.
Thank you!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
To me... nitrate is an indicator , it is a symptom of other contaminants we are not able to test for, like growth inhibiting hormones, pheromones and other less than desirable organic components in the soup that is our tank water.
If nitrate is high, it means that invisible things like fish urine in the soup, is thick and plants can only use just so much.
If nitrate is low, that soup is more like pure water.
Its kind of like the aold dage, "if its yellow, let it mellow", only for fish, that "mellowing" can get rather unhealthy, rather fast without frequent water changes.
Even with my aquatic jungle, I still change 30-40% every other day..

Reactions: Aqua 4k and Deadeye

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I like duckweed...there, I said it! The stuff requires no maintenance, grows like wildfire, and is easy to control by scooping out as much or as little as you want with a net. Every time I remove a couple handfuls from a tank I am removing nitrates and other nutrients. It's one of the best algae controls you can have, simultaneously outcompeting the green scourge and also shading it. It provides a sense of security for skittish fish, especially surface-dwelling species like Butterflyfish, Hatchetfish, etc. It is also an easy-to-use addition to any homemade gel foods you may decide to make for your fish, especially if you are feeding herbivores. Got reptiles? Many turtles love it, and iguanas and other herbivorous lizards inhale the stuff.

I occasionally have die-offs, and even the odd tank where the stuff just won't grow, but generally speaking duckweed is bulletproof. I haven't any idea of how relatively effective it is in utilizing and trapping nitrate, but the simple fact is that I can remove more biomass in the form of duckweed from a typical tank, on an ongoing regular basis, than any other type of plant I have ever used, aquatic or terrestrial.

I prefer Giant Duckweed (used to be Lemna major, not sure what they are calling it nowadays), which is about twice the size of the common variety (Lemna minor) and to my eye much more attractive. L.major seems able to outcompete and eventually replace L.minor in my tanks, with the help of some selective culling.

People complain about how onerous the task of removing duckweed is. I don't get that at all; just scoop it out, easy-peasy. The only time it becomes troublesome is if you decide for some reason to completely remove every last trace of it; good luck with that.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I like duckweed...
I prefer Giant Duckweed (used to be Lemna major, not sure what they are calling it nowadays), which is about twice the size of the common variety (Lemna minor) and to my eye much more attractive. L.major seems able to outcompete and eventually replace L.minor in my tanks, with the help of some selective culling.
I agree, great stuff
1633358509384.png
1633358533954.png
In the states I ws lucky enough to keep vegetarian fish species that loved to eat it.
Both Cincelichthys bocourti and pearsei, and Etroplus suratensus, so i had little trouble getting rid of it or any plant overages.
1633358770455.png
.1633358824942.png
Here in Panama Salvinia (a form of giant duckweed) is available in many natural waters.
13A02336-FF4F-4B99-96E3-BE54E1C2D86C_1_201_a.jpeg
It usually ends up in my sumps.
There are studies that suggest it even removes toxic metals from waste water retention ponds.
BCD23ACB-34EE-49FE-AF5F-0A32485CF9F1_1_201_a.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store