Filtration Suggestions

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
I am currently in the process of converting my 5x3x2ft (215G) tank into a tank for wild discus.

The tank will definitely house are;
- 15 x Wild Caught Green Discus ‘Rio Nanay’

Possible Stocking;
- a small group of 6-8 wild caught Pterophyllum Scalare ‘Rio Nanay’ OR a group of Geophagus Sveni
- a group of wild caught Brochis Splendens
- a characin group (possible tetra or Hemiodus species)

This tank will not be their final tank. They will move to a 6x3x2.5ft (320G) after a few month.

I am wanting filtration suggestions. Unfortunately due to it be on a rack in my fishroom with an identical tank below there is not space for a sump which would of been my first choice) The tank is currently filtered off two large sponge filters (rated up to 180G each, but I am not the biggest fan of the sight of them in the tank) I am thinking about going with a Fluval FX6 but I am unsure if this will be enough / provide enough flow. I can add either a powerhead / another filter (but at the same time I don’t want to create too much flow, as from everything I’ve read they come from stagnant waters in the wild) This tank is located in my fishroom so it will only be me and a few others seeing it as it will not be on display in my house. But I would still like it to be a nice display. I am planning to hide the intakes of the filter behind driftwood, or if anyone has a better idea to hide filter intakes/ outflows please let me know (I currently have some really nice large pieces of branchy ghostwood in the tank). I plan to either use Pothos or water lettuce in order to provide a bit of extra filtration.

Would love filter suggestions as well as suggestions on best configuration for intakes / outlets (intake/outlet on opposite sides of the tank or both on the same side etc)

• Haha
Reactions: dr exum

TAT2DRAGON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Well…
Any update?
in my opinion your best bet is an Eheim 2262. They are bullet proof reliable, I have some running non stop for over 15 years they were 2260's at the time. they are far more versatile than any Fluval filter giving you countless choices for different media configurations and slo not to mention the fact that the 2262 has by far more media capacity than a fluval. It will also be able to transferred to a larger tank when you upgrade thus eliminating the need to purchase another filter down the line. I just recently purchased 2 more from Chewy at the cost of 450 bucks a piece. They aren't cheap but well worth the investment. I wish you well in your new tank set up

Reactions: 30index

kingthedog

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2019
You could make a canister filter out of a bucket and save some money. You could have the outflow go straight down so it would make less current.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
A couple of Aqueon hang on backs will probably work. I don't keep discus, but in my tanks they suck up debris quite fast while giving very little flow. which they should do in yours.

Rhyno8

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2017
I am currently in the process of converting my 5x3x2ft (215G) tank into a tank for wild discus.

The tank will definitely house are;
- 15 x Wild Caught Green Discus ‘Rio Nanay’

Possible Stocking;
- a small group of 6-8 wild caught Pterophyllum Scalare ‘Rio Nanay’ OR a group of Geophagus Sveni
- a group of wild caught Brochis Splendens
- a characin group (possible tetra or Hemiodus species)

This tank will not be their final tank. They will move to a 6x3x2.5ft (320G) after a few month.

I am wanting filtration suggestions. Unfortunately due to it be on a rack in my fishroom with an identical tank below there is not space for a sump which would of been my first choice) The tank is currently filtered off two large sponge filters (rated up to 180G each, but I am not the biggest fan of the sight of them in the tank) I am thinking about going with a Fluval FX6 but I am unsure if this will be enough / provide enough flow. I can add either a powerhead / another filter (but at the same time I don’t want to create too much flow, as from everything I’ve read they come from stagnant waters in the wild) This tank is located in my fishroom so it will only be me and a few others seeing it as it will not be on display in my house. But I would still like it to be a nice display. I am planning to hide the intakes of the filter behind driftwood, or if anyone has a better idea to hide filter intakes/ outflows please let me know (I currently have some really nice large pieces of branchy ghostwood in the tank). I plan to either use Pothos or water lettuce in order to provide a bit of extra filtration.

Would love filter suggestions as well as suggestions on best configuration for intakes / outlets (intake/outlet on opposite sides of the tank or both on the same side etc)
Could do a couple corner matten filters not too much flow and fry friendly.

Reactions: FIU Panther
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store