fin rot??? need advice!

bongko

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Los Angeles
Hey everyone, I just noticed my australian arowana has these slits in his fins that only really show when he swims around. At first I thought it was the light playing tricks on my eyes, but sure enough when I took a closer look it looks like the fins are starting to have shredding.:eek:
I am just curious is I have diagnosed this symptom correctly. I do not see any visible eating away of the fin yet, nor do I see any white spots on the fin. I have a 100g tank that has an overflow bio-ball filter system in the back, and I also have 3 submersible filters in the tank. I feed him twice a day with MP, crickets, pellets, and FD krill. I try to do weekly water changes and the temperature of the tank is 80F. He's still an active fish and eats with a hunger of a beggar so until this evening I didnt notice anything wrong until I turned on my tank lights to full power (I have 3 bulbs and usually only keep 1 on, but I had company over so I cranked up all the bulbs).

006.jpg

001.jpg

Red tail catking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2008
The white padded room
Though the pics are a bit blurry I wouldn't be to concerned. Does He have any other fish living with him and if he does do any of them get into some small tussles?

bongko

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Los Angeles
Red tail catking;3012506; said:
Though the pics are a bit blurry I wouldn't be to concerned. Does He have any other fish living with him and if he does do any of them get into some small tussles?
No tankmates, I didnt want the pain of finding out which fish my aussie can cohabit with.

monster_lover01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2006
Philippines
My jardini once had something like that but it recovered soon without any medications. Check if it gets worse or if the fins are actually growing back..

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
The fins seem to have white edges which is evident of finrot. Clean water quality is your best defense for cases like this. What are your water parameters?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Fin rot usually caused by dirty water. Do 30%-40% water change weekly, and add some salt will help

bongko

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Los Angeles
Lupin;3012840; said:
The fins seem to have white edges which is evident of finrot. Clean water quality is your best defense for cases like this. What are your water parameters?
The white edges that line the tips of the fins have always been there, so I'm pretty sure that its not the problem. I have to bring in a sample of my water to LFS to find out what the parameters are. I did a water change last night when I saw the problem, and I'll probably add salt and continue water changes for the week.

Cypher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Toronto, Canada
The white line of the edge of the fins is not fin rot. All growing arowanas have this. The white line is basically the new cell tissue of the fin, meaning its still growing.

In your case, it does not look like fin rot, as the cuts are clean. Just add some salt for a few days and see how it goes. It should be fine. Could be just from some physical contact with another tankmate or object.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
add salt,bump temp to 84-86,change 40-50% weekly

Swaroop gadekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2019
Pune,India.
Hey my jardini arowana also faces these same issues please guide me to carefully handle the situation. Because the tail is splitting more day by day. Please help me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store