Fire ? eel keepers advice needed multiple/growth rate

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Have had those two since September of 2020 since tiny wrigglers. They are currently in the 75g.

the biggest one is clocking in at least 14” in length is more mellow and docile is least picky on food

the lanky lean one is at least 13.5” and is more aggressive/snapping at the bigger ones head constantly and is so hangry at the other one eating food it refused in the first place

When do they slow down on growing? They keep on gaining girth and length. Not even a year I have had them and they are ok in the 75g tank for another 3-4 inches I can put them in their own 75g as catching them trying to nibble on L114 tail and the Jaguar catfish tail

my question will it help disperse the aggression if I find a 3rd one their size range?

should I be feeding them more if they are trying to eat more the lanky one gets at least 4-5 huge earthworms and the beefy one Likes shrimp so I offer it 3 medium shrimp both eat every other day I try not to feed them everyday due to not doing WC everyday.

1) what size range do they really slow down on growing

2) 1 more to disperse aggression?

3) feed more?
6D041D0F-4AE4-4C9C-8B00-06EB8E853A7E.jpegBA7535DB-A760-4F11-B5D4-0DE1DF938005.jpeg692F9E8E-FA32-4ED1-8010-11D6A584F995.jpeg

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Update:

Going to try to feed them everyday now to try reducing the aggression on the little one. Will add some seachem safe to keep nitrates under control and look into tall bamboo plants on non WC days

I just sneaked in 5 pieces of speciality blend sticks I feed the L24 /Jaguar cats into the 3 shrimp bits and the big one didn’t spit them out at all. I am going to start doing this to fill her up better.

Now got to figure out out to gut load those earthworms the little one is so obsessed on. Today he got 6 big earthworms and was looking for more even if he ate 5 yesterday ? he’s such a difficult one. His name is Hyde by the way. The peaceful ones Jekyll.

Reactions: Chub_by

Oskie Boy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2011
Memphis TN
1) what size range do they really slow down on growing

not sure I have only kept fire eels for about two years. They have not slowed in growth yet.

2) 1 more to disperse aggression?

I had three in a 125 and when they hit the 16" mark they became aggressive with each other. I moved all three to a larger tank and all the aggression went away. I do not think I would add another to a 75 gallon tank, could be too crowded and make the problem worse.

3) feed more?

Possibly, this does work with some types of fish, not sure if this is the most healthy option though. I feed every other day.

Is that 75 sitting on a desk? or is it an actual tank stand? your tank could weigh 600-700lbs

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Oskie Boy Oskie Boy no it is not on a desk, its a custom made stand though. Purchased it via FB marketplace however its no longer laying level so now I have the tank on wedges to prevent further degradation on my tank itself. Did not build it but did look and feel sturdy. I am looking into upgrading their tank anyways and not move them into the 112g anymore due to the Pleco in there. Yes they get fed every other day , every day on weekends and I do skip 3 days at a time when I know I’ll be away at work. To keep the waste under control. At this point they keep on growing. Yikes I am going to be pulling apart their tank in two weeks and attempt some measurement for the one year anniversary mark I have had them they’re throwing around driftwood and caves like its nothing when both are wrestling each other for dominance So its time to readjust to their sizes, might go to the hobby lobby and get some artificial plants for more hiding spots for both As both do like having hiding spots that hides their entire bodies not just their heads. They are outgrowing some of the spots and I am removing the Pleco hotel as practically none of the fish use it anymore they all prefer their own individual caves

AND to answer your concern about the escape spots, I purposely keep my water level low about 1.5 inch drop and believe that the two I have is scared/remembers of the Bengal cat patrolling the tanks, she will bop them on the head if she sees their head peek out.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
This weekend I just met a 2.5 year old fire eel which was purchased 1.5 years ago at 12” and is now just shy of 28” and easily as thick as my wrist. It’s owner took it to my LFS and had raised it in a 5 ft tank hand feeding it daily on mussels. Never seen a fish grow so large so fast.

• Wow
Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store