Fire eel advice

Grinsend King

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2020
Hello there, this is my first post on here and I'd like to get a little advice. I've recently got a new fire eel, coming up to three months ago, and I'm having some small issues. When I first got him/her it was very active and would come out regularly. Unfortunately the cave it had chosen was the filter so I removed that filter replacing it with one it couldn't get in. Since then it hardly leaves its new cave, under a large piece of planted drift wood. I have a couple of other hiding spots and the tank mates are all peaceful fish. It's eating very well and its colour when I do occasionally see it is great. My question is any tips on how I can get him to hand feed or at least come out a bit more again? My other fire eels were both very bold, like this one was originally.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Eels can be like this but not to worry. Just let it settle in and eat. Eventually it’ll get used to the tank and be more friendly. My current eel was like this. Used tongs in the beginning some fasting. Minimal interaction with the tank. Got used to it and switched to hand feeding.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I have ghost shrimp in my tank and my fire eel loves hunting them 24/7 and it’s quite cool to see, I noticed I see him less and less when the shrimp population dwindles. They are usually hunting or hiding I think it’s just the fish until they reach a certain size or level of comfort.

richyrich

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
uk
My eel has behaved like this before either when I move it to a different tank or if I drastically change the aquascape. Goes back to normal after a while when it’s settled in.

Grinsend King

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2020
Eels can be like this but not to worry. Just let it settle in and eat. Eventually it’ll get used to the tank and be more friendly. My current eel was like this. Used tongs in the beginning some fasting. Minimal interaction with the tank. Got used to it and switched to hand feeding.
Thanks I that's really nice to know, I know it shouldn't matter and you should never compaire pets but I was thinking back on my previous fire eels to figure out if I did anything differently. Nice to know he still might bolden up.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Grinsend King

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2020
I have ghost shrimp in my tank and my fire eel loves hunting them 24/7 and it’s quite cool to see, I noticed I see him less and less when the shrimp population dwindles. They are usually hunting or hiding I think it’s just the fish until they reach a certain size or level of comfort.
Yep he loves his ghost shrimp too though he lines them up from his eel came then shoots out a swallows them.

Grinsend King

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2020
My eel has behaved like this before either when I move it to a different tank or if I drastically change the aquascape. Goes back to normal after a while when it’s settled in.
Thanks that's great to know like I said he was all happy and bold whilst he had his filter to hide in the hiding only really started after I took it away. Would have left it in but kept having worries he'd get stuck or chopped up by the blades. I'll make as few changes as poss over the next few months.

Reactions: richyrich
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store