Fire Eel - Frozen Raw Prawns

Charlizard

Feeder Fish
May 10, 2020
Hi All,
Just looking for a bit of advice with feeding frozen raw prawns please, would these be ok to feed to my Fire Eel? It says Sodium Metabisulphate as an ingredient and don't want to feed anything that will harm the little guy. Thanks

IMG_20200525_205042.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
The sulfides are to prevent black spot......The chemicals are used on poor quality shrimp. Many humans are sensitive to Sulfides and i would not assume fish are immune. Always check labels on shrimp and frozen seafood. ingredients should be shrimp and perhaps salt. Anything else including tripolyphosphate ( for drip loss) or sulfides ruins the product. The chemicals are used when the shrimp are subjected to long periods of time between harvest and processing which can occur both at sea or from ponds. There is very little oversite on this process and many manufacturers use way too much chemicals. The best quality products are processed either as caught on the ships or at a processing plant at the site of harvest.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Charlizard

Charlizard

Feeder Fish
May 10, 2020
The sulfides are to prevent black spot......The chemicals are used on poor quality shrimp. Many humans are sensitive to Sulfides and i would not assume fish are immune. Always check labels on shrimp and frozen seafood. ingredients should be shrimp and perhaps salt. Anything else including tripolyphosphate ( for drip loss) or sulfides ruins the product. The chemicals are used when the shrimp are subjected to long periods of time between harvest and processing which can occur both at sea or from ponds. There is very little oversite on this process and many manufacturers use way too much chemicals. The best quality products are processed either as caught on the ships or at a processing plant at the site of harvest.
Thanks Chefken. I'll be honest I never buy uncooked prawns as Im no Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen ?. Looks like I'll find another use from them besides the Fish Tank then ?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store