Fire eel hanging at top of tank

JohnnyTBags

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hey everyone!

First post: anyways I just recently purchased a beautiful 5-6 inch fire eel for my South American Cichlids tank. 120 gallon 0 ammonia 0 nitrates 10-15 nitrites. Established tank now for over a year.

My question is this guy seems overly active if that makes sense. He also tends to stay at the top of the tank wrapped the power head of filter inputs. It’s strange. It’s only been a few days now, still hasn’t eaten but shows interest in frozen blood worms. Just curious if this behavior is normal. He is literally out swimming and hover st top of tank all day everyday lights in or off. Any advise is appreciate.

Thanks

JTB

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey everyone!

First post: anyways I just recently purchased a beautiful 5-6 inch fire eel for my South American Cichlids tank. 120 gallon 0 ammonia 0 nitrates 10-15 nitrites. Established tank now for over a year.

My question is this guy seems overly active if that makes sense. He also tends to stay at the top of the tank wrapped the power head of filter inputs. It’s strange. It’s only been a few days now, still hasn’t eaten but shows interest in frozen blood worms. Just curious if this behavior is normal. He is literally out swimming and hover st top of tank all day everyday lights in or off. Any advise is appreciate.

Thanks

JTB

My only input is make sure there are no gaps or opening's Spiny Eels are well known for escaping from aquariums.

Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can be due to stress and being in a new tank. Would post ur water parameters. Provide a log or place to hide.

Reactions: tlindsey

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
He seems stressed from the unfamiliar environment definitely make sure he has a tube also make sure you have a VERY tight lid I had a 13" black spotted eel escape through a .5" gap. Don't be surprised if he doesn't eat for a couple weeks they can go on hunger strikes during stress. As far as being out and about once they are comfortable in the tank and associate you with food they will come out and beg

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
post a pic. how crowded is the tank? is there anywhere else to hide?

fire eels are notorious for not eating, doubly so if they are stressed.

JohnnyTBags

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2018
Wow thanks for all the great feedback.

Anyways, the tank is a 75g for now, (which everyone says), but I’ve just made the room to drop in a 150. He’s got 4 tank mates and no one bothers him. Quite amazing that they chase each other and are a bit stress I’ve but they totally leave him alone.

There is a ton of hiding places. He’s found a nice cosie spot inside my artificial tree root decoration. Still overly active during the day but he’s getting more comfortable I can tell.

Still not taking too the blood worms but from everything I’ve read I should expect that. I won’t change up the option for another week or so as I don’t want to go down the path of live worms and then be stuck with live worms.

Anyways I’ll post some pictures soon. Late Ny time now and don’t want to turn the lights just for a photo opp. Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. Fingers crossed but things seem to be looking up so far.

JohnnyTBags

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2018
120g. Excuse me. I’ve had a 75 g tank for so long (12 years actually) I consistently auto type. I got a 120 from a friend which I have had running for a while now. Still need to go bigger though. My cichlids aren’t slowing down on the growth chart. Quite amazing too watch.

Originally had Africans in my 75 forever. I had a terrible storm, lost power, generator ran out of gas, couldn’t get any anywhere. Lost the lot. After that I started over (sadly) and went down the new world cichlid path after being introduced from a fish friend. I quickly went from 75 to 120 and now made room for.a 150+ by throwing away some furniture spight my wife’s hesitations.

Again thank you all and I’ll keep everyone posted.

Wow thanks for all the great feedback.

Anyways, the tank is a 75g for now, (which everyone says), but I’ve just made the room to drop in a 150. He’s got 4 tank mates and no one bothers him. Quite amazing that they chase each other and are a bit stress I’ve but they totally leave him alone.

There is a ton of hiding places. He’s found a nice cosie spot inside my artificial tree root decoration. Still overly active during the day but he’s getting more comfortable I can tell.

Still not taking too the blood worms but from everything I’ve read I should expect that. I won’t change up the option for another week or so as I don’t want to go down the path of live worms and then be stuck with live worms.

Anyways I’ll post some pictures soon. Late Ny time now and don’t want to turn the lights just for a photo opp. Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. Fingers crossed but things seem to be looking up so far.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Hey everyone!

Thanks

JTB
Not just fire eels, morays also does that. My snake morays (uropterygius micropterus) and even the white cheek eels (echidna rhodochilus) ocassionally climbed the filter and use the elevated height to hunt fishes that swims near the filter.IMG_20180222_205450.jpg
maybe hanging upside down is fun game for them as well :)
IMG_20180222_205423.jpg

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Mine loves earth worms. Now he eats ANYTHING i put in. Flake food. Sinking pellets. Shrimp. Cod. ANYTHING.

He is fat. He acts like he is starving all the time. Earthworms got him eating pretty fast. He swam around all the time. Now he hides and comes out when any sound is made......and begs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store