Fire eel help

Bret11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
I need some help on keeping fire eels alive, I’ve had 2 fire eels in the past in my 125 at separate times with other non aggressive fish, my water conditions were perfect and I was feeding them black worms and frozen blood worms and they were eating just fine but then out of no where they would just die. What could I have done wrong?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
What are the parameters and temps

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Temp is 79, ph is 7.0, ammonia and nitrite were 0.
What was ur nitrate? What are the tank-mates specifically? Is ur heater covered? Would try feeding just the black worms soaked in Boyd’s vitachem instead of the bloodworms.

Reactions: tlindsey and sikoko

Bret11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
I’m not sure about the nitrate but I’ll check when I get home and the heater was not covered, the tankmates were severums, geophagus, uaru and a pleco.
What was ur nitrate? What are the tank-mates specifically? Is ur heater covered? Would try feeding just the black worms soaked in Boyd’s vitachem instead of the bloodworms.

Oskie Boy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2011
Memphis TN
how many drops are you putting on your food? Are you adding the food to tank water then adding the drops and letting it sit?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
how many drops are you putting on your food? Are you adding the food to tank water then adding the drops and letting it sit?
I dip it in there cause it’s thick and feed. Use a medicine measuring cup. The ones from a liquid otc antihistamine to soak a bit of it in there.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
When you say they both died can we get more details??? Was the body: bloated / skinny / scarred / dark / pale?

Also, how long had you kept each eel before their demise???

Lastly, any sign they could have been infected by IP’s?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store