Fire eel issues.

Grinsend King

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2020
Hello there, this is my first post on here and I'd like to get a little advice. I've recently got a new fire eel, coming up to three months ago, and I'm having some small issues. When I first got him/her it was very active and would come out regularly. Unfortunately the cave it had chosen was the filter so I removed that filter replacing it with one it couldn't get in. Since then it hardly leaves its new cave, under a large piece of planted drift wood. I have a couple of other hiding spots and the tank mates are all peaceful fish. It's eating very well and its colour when I do occasionally see it is great. My question is any tips on how I can get him to hand feed or at least come out a bit more again? My other fire eels were both very bold, like this one was originally.

Oh I should add I don't want to cause it any further stress if it's just a shy eel then that's fine too.

Last edited:

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
:welcome:
from what I have heard, a shy fish is a shy fish...and you could try handfeeding him by using tongs and give him a treat or something like that, and every other day or so give him treats until he realizes tongs Mean food. That would be how I would do it. But I have barely any experience with fish, just what I have read. Others will chime in, and they will have better advice.

Reactions: Grinsend King

Grinsend King

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2020
:welcome:
from what I have heard, a shy fish is a shy fish...and you could try handfeeding him by using tongs and give him a treat or something like that, and every other day or so give him treats until he realizes tongs Mean food. That would be how I would do it. But I have barely any experience with fish, just what I have read. Others will chime in, and they will have better advice.
Thanks for the welcome and the reply, I'm hoping that he'll take to that. I'm setting up a red wiggler worm colony, so hoping with the tongs that'll be the case ?. Still if it's not and he is just shy it's not the worst at least it's healthy and eating well ?

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store