Fire eel

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If planning to keep the eel for life then will need a bigger tank than current. Older members had big fire eels in 300g+.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Never kept one of these too long but would like a big one. Just wondering, are they predatory or aggressive? Will they try and eat smaller plecos and pick off dithers like rainbowfish?

Lhotse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2020
Never kept one of these too long but would like a big one. Just wondering, are they predatory or aggressive? Will they try and eat smaller plecos and pick off dithers like rainbowfish?
They can be predatory with smaller fish they can fit in their mouth. They are not aggressive except apparently with their own kind and are quite shy fish. A small bristlenose would be okay but the fire eel could suffer damage from the larger plecos if they are startled and move quickly. I had to remove my large plec for this reason. They do need a BIG tank and I am already looking for a 6 foot or bigger. They can be quite long lived if looked after properly. They will need somewhere to hide. I have a large boat that takes up most of a 5 foot tank. Pipes would be okay. No sharp edges and a large diameter. Mine feeds exclusively on earth worms which I get off the internet.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
They can be predatory with smaller fish they can fit in their mouth. They are not aggressive except apparently with their own kind and are quite shy fish. A small bristlenose would be okay but the fire eel could suffer damage from the larger plecos if they are startled and move quickly. I had to remove my large plec for this reason. They do need a BIG tank and I am already looking for a 6 foot or bigger. They can be quite long lived if looked after properly. They will need somewhere to hide. I have a large boat that takes up most of a 5 foot tank. Pipes would be okay. No sharp edges and a large diameter. Mine feeds exclusively on earth worms which I get off the internet.
Thanks for the info. So apart from what fits in their mouths, it sounds like I don’t have to worry about them attacking anything?

Lhotse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2020
Thanks for the info. So apart from what fits in their mouths, it sounds like I don’t have to worry about them attacking anything?
I have not seen mine attack other fish and he has has angels and gourami in with him. If they are startled though they move extremely quickly and fish in the way may get a bit battered as he goes back into hiding ??

Reactions: phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store