First bass and ray upgrade in progress

SheoshScout

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Finally got some of the little guys grown up and into their upgrade. I wanted this in my living room so we had to do a little structural support first. I have an older house with odd sized floor joists so I made sure to lean towards overkill with this part. Started by putting 2x6 blocking between the floor joists 12" apart then added some vertical 4x4 green treated posts for support. Got this tank really cheap because it needed some work. I redid the silicone and touched up some other parts. I am a welder by trade so naturally the stand is 1.5" square tubing covered in solid oak panels and doors. Canopy is also oak. Found and treated all the driftwood with more to add soon. Current filtration is fx6 x's 2. The next step is putting in a sump. I was hesitant to use the overflows right off the bat because something about the seams just bugged me. So I did what would be considered a triple pass in the welding world with the silicone on them and they are just fine. After the sump gets put in I will finish the scape job. I will be adding more suspended driftwood so the ray still has plenty of footprint to travel. Then adding a few rock outcrops with some larger rocks. Still undecided on substrate or not. This project is still in works, will update as we go. As always, looking for any input/advice/constructive criticism20170218_215022.jpg 20170218_214907.jpg 20170218_214558.jpg 20170218_205438.jpg 20170218_120248.jpg 20170218_125909.jpg

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Looks good but with rays I would do something with that heater I've taken pvc tubing ,drilled holes in it and made a cheap heater guard . Also im not sure about that substrate unless it's the fine grain peace river but maybe a more experienced ray keeper can chime in.

SheoshScout

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
Tank dimensions are 6x2x2. When these guys move out it will be the Frontosa tank (the main reason I wanted this one in the living room).
I love the cheap quick heater guard idea. I will be building the sump soon but in the meantime that is a perfect fix.
I will be adding a couple more bass if I can find the right size available for what I'm looking for. I'm hesitant to buy too many because at this point I don't know what the final upgrade will be. I really enjoy fixing up tanks and giving them new life so I've been waiting to find a large used tank but the nice thing about buying new is you can get the exact dimensions you want. I figure I have maybe 6 months to figure that out.

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Yea I was gonna say use the sump once that's all set up. I currently have a wet/dry sump but before I got my 300 gallon I had a non drilled tank and that's what I did with my heaters. Can even cut out part of the back of the pvc and still be able to attach the heater to the glass with the suction cups on it.

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
so sad I just learned that rays are illegal in cali

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
true but there are saltwater

SheoshScout

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2015
so sad I just learned that rays are illegal in cali
Ya I feel for ya man. The regulations on our hobby drive me nuts. I live within a couple of hours of where it is legal to have Asian arowana...like someone on the other side of this imaginary line can have them but I can't

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store