First Fish Tank Ever - Need Filtration Help for 125 Gallon Tank

pistonville

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
I am going to be setting up a 125 gallon fish tank with 8-12 Cichlids, and I may do 2-4 live feeding per month. I know that I will have to do water changes, but I'm looking for filtration suggestions that I require the least amount of water changes and aquarium maintenance. FYI...whatever system I get will need to fit under the tank (not besides it, and I do not have a wall to hide it). This will be my first fish tank ever, so thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yep, couple canisters...but not 2 Eheim 2217's. I started with a pair of 2217s, and I ended up buying a 2262.

So 2 canisters, but they need to have more flow output than 2217s do.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Eheim 2262 + 2217 will be a good combo. BTW, what is your budget to splash on just the filters alone ?
Yep. that's what I ended up with. A 2262 on one end, and a 2217 on the other end. I'm thinking about taking the 2217 off--it's just totally overwhelmed by the water coming from the 2262 anyway.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Couple canisters (can diy them if you want to save some money, and make them to your exact needs and requirements) or a simple 40gal sump, loads if info on here on how to set up a good sump. What's your space limitations? And cost limitations? Also, and I can't stress this enough, if your planning on feeding only live foods, that's a terrible idea. You most likely go for minnows, guppies or goldfish, all of which are not very nutritional, a good quality pellet with other things, I.e bloodworms, crickets, mealworms, is what you need. Your fish will flourish. This site is great for help and info, so keeps asking questions and you should avoid most problems and mistakes.

Bad Wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
New Jersey
A sump is probably your best bet. Truth be told, I've got a 125 that's been running for nearly a year with one sponge filter. As long as you're doing your water changes, you'll be fine.

perdeep007

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
new jersey
i just set up my sump thanks to the helpful info and people on here, couldnt be happier. i would do it that way also, more room to play with filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store