First Jardini

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Had the pleasure on Saturday of taking the trip up to Queens to visit Monster Aquarium. After seeing the stock they bring in it was a real treat. The shop isn’t the biggest but the tanks were in great shape and all fish looked nice and healthy. The variety of stock and prices were excellent as well. I’ve wanted a Jardini for a good bit of time and saw they got a few in this world past week. I figured it’d be a great addition to my datnoids. Saw a beautiful 3.5” fish and decided to take him home. Super excited about him and to see what the future holds. I haven’t confirmed seeing him eat yet but saw him picking at a few krill legs in the tank during feeding. Really can’t wait for another trip to Monster Aquarium as well.

7FF9AC5D-E1E1-471E-A838-3082949B6EE2.jpeg

F4C43361-1758-43C2-9A80-18B417582DBE.jpeg

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
Nice!

I'm a huge fan of Jardinis. I've got a 12" regular and 7" "Platinum" growing out together in a 125 right now. They are great fish to keep but beware of their personality if you decide to keep other fish with them. Weeks will go by without incident and they will just snap one day and kill whichever fish they have a problem with that day. It's just in their nature. Mine hates Oscars but has no problems with catfish. My platinum killed a baby Jardini I had in there after 3 months of no problems. Go figure.

My recommendation is that you fatten it up on whatever food it will willingly eat until it gets to a size that it can safely be starved at when specific-food training. In my opinion that is the 7-8" mark. I just had to re-train my 12" Jar to eat shrimp. 2 weeks of no food did the trick. I starved him at 7" for a little over a month to eat pellets lol

if you knew all of this, then sorry for ranting lol. Nice fish!

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Nice!

I'm a huge fan of Jardinis. I've got a 12" regular and 7" "Platinum" growing out together in a 125 right now. They are great fish to keep but beware of their personality if you decide to keep other fish with them. Weeks will go by without incident and they will just snap one day and kill whichever fish they have a problem with that day. It's just in their nature. Mine hates Oscars but has no problems with catfish. My platinum killed a baby Jardini I had in there after 3 months of no problems. Go figure.

My recommendation is that you fatten it up on whatever food it will willingly eat until it gets to a size that it can safely be starved at when specific-food training. In my opinion that is the 7-8" mark. I just had to re-train my 12" Jar to eat shrimp. 2 weeks of no food did the trick. I starved him at 7" for a little over a month to eat pellets lol

if you knew all of this, then sorry for ranting lol. Nice fish!
I appreciate the information. I’ve heard of the aggressiveness and am hoping I get lucky with a more docile one. Currently working on figuring out what he’s willing to take. So far no dice with carnivore, floating food sticks, frozen krill, and he’s only mouthed the Vibra bites. Next up is market shrimp or tilapia. Always nice to hear someone else’s experience with the same fish.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Keep offering FD krill. After a few days offer nothing but pellets. Once they learn where and what the food is supposed to look like its easy to offer them anything and everything

Reactions: tlindsey

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Think I got very lucky a little over a week and he’s eating Hikari Sticks. Other then that he’s in a growout with 3 dats so far no aggression and both species keep their distance.

Reactions: mattybecks

Lsey81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Pittsburgh-ish
Beautiful jardini! As mentioned before keep an eye on the aggression! It can come out of nowhere!...my guy was fine...till one day...he ate a red devil...then killed my male green terror...then attacked the heater lol...needless to say he's in a tank by alone now...and PLEASE keep the lids TIGHT they WILL jump and tend to be very skittish when growing out...if you think it can't fit thru a hole or won't jump out...it will! Good luck and keep the pics coming!

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Beautiful jardini! As mentioned before keep an eye on the aggression! It can come out of nowhere!...my guy was fine...till one day...he ate a red devil...then killed my male green terror...then attacked the heater lol...needless to say he's in a tank by alone now...and PLEASE keep the lids TIGHT they WILL jump and tend to be very skittish when growing out...if you think it can't fit thru a hole or won't jump out...it will! Good luck and keep the pics coming!
Minute I brought him home I finished sealing the lid for fear of him ju,ping. So far he's been doing well and minds his own business at the top. I've had him a touch over two weeks and have already noted visible growth on him. He's still taking both pellets and freeze dried krill.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I had one for a bit and noticed quick growth as well. About 2 inches per month

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store