( First of there kind) Free Swimming Dovii X Rose Queen hybrids (first ever)

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I would move about half if I were you. Just to be safe. You can do the siphon trick. I move fry all the time with a siphon. They should be fine just make sure the water in the tank you move them to matches their current tank.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

MP_cichlid

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2015
Connecticut
so your purposely breeding a hybrid to a dovii........If your gonna do this, please don't distribute these fry. This is exactly why its getting harder and harder to get pure species.

Reactions: deeda and Hendre

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
so your purposely breeding a hybrid to a dovii........If your gonna do this, please don't distribute these fry. This is exactly why its getting harder and harder to get pure species.
If you have to give a few away when they grow out, make sure they are for sure labeled as hybrids. Same as something like a flowerhorn, which most people know are hybrids. I wonder if they will be sterile? Hmm... do cichlids work like that? Haha.

Personally I would cull any that have deformities too, if it looks like they are suffering. Don't want any bad stuff like that in the gene pool.

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
as stated in some previous posts... I would leave half with the parents and pull the other half (culling any that seem to have a deformity in the process.)

The best way I've found to catch newly free swimming fry is to catch as many as you can in a net, and use a turkey baster to gently suck up a few at a time from the net (while the net is still submerged enough to allow the fry to remain in the water). Then from there you can spit them in to a small breeder box until you've collected about half, or you can spit them directly in to a cycled spare tank for them (assuming the temps match).
Either way, there are quite a few options

Best of luck! looking forward to see how these guys turn out

Reactions: GamerChick5567

MrDuckBootz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2016
Parkland Fl
I'm going to buy a hang on the back filter and it'll have a new carbon thing? would that be ok because if i take apart my canister ill get water everywhere

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I thought my little convict made a lot.... Lol!

I would cut at least a little media from the existing filter. Fry are delicate and might not make it through a fish in cycle. Or you could leave it to cycle for a few weeks while the fry grow with the parents. Could get stronger fry that way.

Reactions: MrDuckBootz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store