First saltwater tank.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I just got a 65 gallon tank that I plan on making it a saltwater aquarium. I think it's about time to explore Saltwater, as I currently have multiple successful freshwater aquariums, with my largest being a 210 gallon. This would be my first Saltwater aquarium, and I think I already have the basics down, but it anyone could explain them it would be much appreciated. I was just planning on getting some soft corals so I'm not dropping $300 on lights. Are there any lights that I should get to grow corals well? The tank is 36" long and 24" wide. I'm hoping to not spend much more than $150 on lighting. Here is my planned stock list: 2 Cardinal fish, 2 Gramams, 2 Red Firefish, 2 Purple Firefish, 4 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Yellow tang, 1 Flame Angel, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, and assorted snails. Any suggestions on the stock list would also be appreciated. I'd like to know if some of these fish aren't compatible, if I have too many fish, or if I can add more.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Its been years since I've had a reef setup, my only advice for you is to lots of research first. Saltwater can become very expensive if you rush into it. If it was saltwater fish only the task would be easier, but corals are involved. Just do your homework first and you will be successful. :)

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Its been years since I've had a reef setup, my only advice for you is to lots of research first. Saltwater can become very expensive if you rush into it. If it was saltwater fish only the task would be easier, but corals are involved. Just do your homework first and you will be successful. :)
I figured I'd do my homework here. It's easier to ask people who've already done their homework vs. doing it yourself.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I did a little more research and found that a Yellow Tang would need a larger tank and a Flame Angel isn't suited for Reef Tanks. Knowing that I'll cross them off the stock list.

Anyone have any suggestions for other fish that would be compatible with the ones listed?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
It looks like I can keep the Firefish, Clownfish, Grammas, Cardinal fish, and Cleaner Shrimp together. I'd still like some suggestions on lights, a good protein skimmer, and other compatible fish.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I like t5 lights but LEDs are popular. You can get the Chinese led boxes for under $150. For t5 you can use 2 bulbs and have a decent reef with coral but 4 bulbs will be much better. It will make your tank look much nicer and allow you to play with the colors more.

I personally like to keep it simple. If I was you I would keep the tank under stocked and skip on a skimmer and sump. You can always add one later.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I like t5 lights but LEDs are popular. You can get the Chinese led boxes for under $150. For t5 you can use 2 bulbs and have a decent reef with coral but 4 bulbs will be much better. It will make your tank look much nicer and allow you to play with the colors more.

I personally like to keep it simple. If I was you I would keep the tank under stocked and skip on a skimmer and sump. You can always add one later.
I already have a sump, and I found what looks to be a nice skimmer for $95. I found some leds that have 712 reviews on Amazon and have 4.5 stars, which means a large majority of those 712 people found that the lights worked well. They are $165, but after looking around a while that seemed to be a good deal.

Skimmer link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CML49CK/ref=crt_ewc_title_gw_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Led light link: https://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-...61&sr=8-3&keywords=led+reef+aquarium+lighting

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Following the 1 cubic inch per gallon rule, the current stock list shouldn't add very much bioload. None of the fish, from what I've read, get longer than 4", and I don't think any should get more than 0.5" wide and 0.5" tall. I may be wrong, and if I am please correct me, but following that logic the largest fish should only take up 1 cubic inch of bioload.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have heard that saltwater tanks should be kept to a ratio of one cubic inch per every two gallons. I think anything over that is considered to be heavy stocking.

I would recommend that you start with one or two fish and get the corals going. Then, once that is all going well, add new fish one at a time every now and then.

I do definitely think that a sump is the way to go. However, I would look into an auto water top off that uses FRESH water to replace any evaporated water. This is because the corals are very sensitive to salinity changes and as we all know from elementary science class, salt does not evaporate with the water, hence, salinity goes up with the evaporation of water.

Sounds like you have a good start. If you take it slow then I think you should have no problems that you aren't able to easily correct before anyone bad happens.

Btw, I have never kept saltwater, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I
have done a lot of research on keeping one though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store