First time diy

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
I am looking into building a backyard koi pond and was wondering just a few things. How big does it need to be with a few koi (at least three) how deep should it be?( I live where it can get 5 below 0 during the winter) and can guppies live year round and will they eat mosquitoes? Also any picture of how you all built the filtration and waterfall would be nice to. Thank you!!

Americancichlidsaredabest

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
Koiphen (USA) or Extreme Koi (UK) are better sources for KOI and pond info.

Some very helpful, passionate pond keepers at both.
Thank you I’ll be sure to check those out.

Guppys won't make it. You could do Mosquito Fish.
Any idea on where to get those?

My pond was only 3 feet deep and the raccoons would grab my fish. Solved that by going deeper on one end and adding some clay pots for the koi to retreat to. Also, if it’s too shallow, it might freeze over.
definitely don’t want that to happen. I was planning on making it 5 or more feet deep in a few spots.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Thank you I’ll be sure to check those out.

Any idea on where to get those?

definitely don’t want that to happen. I was planning on making it 5 or more feet deep in a few spots.
Not sure where you are but in many places, you can get free mosquito fish by contacting your counties vector control department

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
P phreeflow do you think the mosquito fish would last through the winter?
Again, I’m not sure where you’re located but they have a huge range. Some sites say down to 50 degrees but I’ve seen them do fine in colder water. Also, there are different varieties so I really am not sure

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store