First time flowerhorn owner tips

UNDEFINED EK 808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Had these guys since June.

Feed - Hikari Sinking pellets & Hikari bio gold in am okiko platinum head huncher in pm

10 gallon tanks

Filter setup Marineland Penguin 350 Bio Wheel HOB w/ Fluval bio rings in tank

Tank temp 80 degrees

30%-40% water changes every 4-5 days

Anybody have any input on anything i should do differently or does it look like these guys are growing at the proper rate? I seen pictures of my breeders fish from the same litter and they are almost twice the size with their heads already popping. Also one is really dark and always has been and the other really light almost white both came from the same litter anyone know why their colors are so different? Any help or guidence would be greatly appreciated.20200830_101914.jpg20200830_102246.jpg

UNDEFINED EK 808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I didnt think the 10 gallon tanks were a big deal considering they are under 6 inches, have overkill filtration, and have a lot of room to move around. I do have a 55 on the side for them but was worried at their size now it may be too big.

Do you think that the color differences are because one has a white pipe and the other black?? I put these PCV pipes in as this is what my breeder had in the tanks with them when they were born till about 2 months old.

silverrhino8

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2019
I didnt think the 10 gallon tanks were a big deal considering they are under 6 inches, have overkill filtration, and have a lot of room to move around. I do have a 55 on the side for them but was worried at their size now it may be too big.

Do you think that the color differences are because one has a white pipe and the other black?? I put these PCV pipes in as this is what my breeder had in the tanks with them when they were born till about 2 months old.
Put them in the 55 and they'll grow fast. But they may not get along with each other. Your problem is the nitrates. They'll be far too high in a 10g tank with your current water change schedule. Test your water and you'll see that. For a tank that small you'd have to be doing 50-75% water changes every day to keep nitrates low. Fish growth is slowed if nitrates are kept high.

Yes the pipes are affecting their colour. Many fish, including Flowerhorns, try to blend into what's below them so predators from above can't see them so easily. I've tested this a few times. My flowerhorns look dramatically different on black sand vs white sand.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store