First time with discus

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
Hello everyone! It’s nice to be here.I recently changed my predator set up, rehoming my arowana who outgrew the aquarium.. to do a discus set up! But I need your help! Keep in mind this is my first experience with discus, but I do have years of experience with a lot of other tropical freshwater and saltwater fish .. just not discus, I’ve been reading up on them since I was a child. For whatever reason I was always scared to tackle them on thinking they may be too fragile to keep.

So yesterday I rehomed my fish. I took everything out of the aquarium except for the white sand and black layer of gravel underneath and then proceeded to do a 75% water change. Afterwards I had added the driftwood , stones (that I was told with on the fact my pH), lots of live plants along with two hang on the back AquaClear filters and two powerheads to keep the current going so little actually settles on the sand. My water temperature is at 84° and my pH is at 6.8. The people at the aquarium store test in my water and said everything was perfect so I went head and purchased one discus to test out the waters (pleased to say she’s doing well) along with 15 neon cardinal tetras, a two inch albino blue eyed pleco who I was told would not damage my plants...?) and a female betta.. and now we have ten checkerboard discus at two inches that should be arriving Tuesday.

I’m planning on feeding them blood worms and black worms and doing weekly 30% water changes. The aquarium is only a 55g grow out tank and I want it to be natural and beautiful while also comfortable for the fish.. What do you think for the time being? Do you have any suggestions or ideas for me, and I’m interested to know how I did on the aquascape LOL. The aquarium has been established and running for about eight months. Thank you so much for taking time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Looks nice. You better read up and get your own test kits. Not sure you are planning enough water changes. The schooling fish is good. I have read different opinions on PH so make sure you read a lot of different stuff. Discus really need pristine water. Other than that good luck! Discus are beautiful fish.

Reactions: Matteus

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
I have an ammonia and pH test kit. Do you feel like the larger discus that I have in there now it’s going to cause any problems with the ones that are half the size that will be here Tuesday? There’s 10 of them so I would think the aggression will be spread out enough so. What do you think? Any tips on the design of the aquarium I wanted to look good and I’m trying really hard LOL

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
Regarding the pH, I also have heard a lot of different opinion and suggestions. When I first test in my water my pH was 7.6 at the aquarium store. So I recently added PH decreaseChemicals so I’m aiming for around 6.8 to 7.0 But my pet stores as they have them in 7.6! I would love some of your opinions on the pH in the design/set up that I have going on and what you would do differently if anything. Thank you guys so much for helping me do this.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
One thing I have found is you need to read a lot. Some discuss breeders do daily water changes. Some claim ph in upper 7 range is ok. I think stable ph is most important.
I am not an expert but when I hear people talk about the local pet store I cringe. Maybe check out the SimplyDicsus forum. Most of the posting I see on MFK is monster type fish. Don't see much on Discus. But I see a lot of discussion on water parameters and Discus are mentioned.
I know people see this beautiful fish at the pest store and buy them not knowing what it takes to keep them healthy. Did you know that Discus are a shoaling fish? Doesn't mean you can't keep them alone. But you need to read.
I guess you know the basics about tank cycling and bacteria? Do you have liquid test kits? Off hand your tank looks OK. For now.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
One thing I have found is you need to read a lot. Some discuss breeders do daily water changes. Some claim ph in upper 7 range is ok. I think stable ph is most important.
I am not an expert but when I hear people talk about the local pet store I cringe. Maybe check out the SimplyDicsus forum. Most of the posting I see on MFK is monster type fish. Don't see much on Discus. But I see a lot of discussion on water parameters and Discus are mentioned.
I know people see this beautiful fish at the pest store and buy them not knowing what it takes to keep them healthy. Did you know that Discus are a shoaling fish? Doesn't mean you can't keep them alone. But you need to read.
I guess you know the basics about tank cycling and bacteria? Do you have liquid test kits? Off hand your tank looks OK. For now.
Also, you need to test for Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites. Periodically. Make sure the temp is correct for your species of discus.

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
Sorry I should have told you again, I’ve been reading on this particular fish since I was a kid. As I mentioned in the original thread I have ten two inch checkerboard shipping Monday that I’m adding. I’m just seeking tips and opinions of the complete setup.

Reactions: tlindsey

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Sorry I should have told you again, I’ve been reading on this particular fish since I was a kid. As I mentioned in the original thread I have ten two inch checkerboard shipping Monday that I’m adding. I’m just seeking tips and opinions of the complete setup.
Ok. Sorry about that. Good luck!

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
Also, you need to test for Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites. Periodically. Make sure the temp is correct for your species of discus.
I have both of those test. My water conditions are close to perfect. I’m just curious as to if I should be using the pH decreaser or if I should just use my Regular tap water‘s pH of around 7.6. I want to keep everything stable I just don’t know what to do with the pH at this point I’ll keep testing it and seeing if I can keep it around 6.8 or so that’s what I plan to try to do.The temperature is around 8482

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store