Fish Dying!

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
I have a 2500 gallon pond, and within the last week, 10 fish have died. All of them were over 14", the smaller fish are still doing fine. I never noticed anything different with them, but the water has always been green, with a very low visibility. Any suggest on what could have happened to them?

moxxommox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
Australia, Sydney
temp? water condition, waterchange? posion plants? it can be anything dude. =) cats could spook them to death I guess.. birds? no filtration? diet? old age?

etc...

you get the point

good luck in fixing the problem!!!

sorry I'm not good at fixing unsolved mysteries!!

:thumbsup:

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
We've had this pond for about 8 years, so I dont think its the temp, because then it would pobably happen every year. Sometimes we have to shut the pump off for a few hours because it gets clogged. Im thinking it might be the dissolved oxygen, because the bigger fish need more oxygen, and they are the ones dying

Jason

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2005
Barring any chemical problems i'd agree with you that its O2, higher summer temps, bigger fish and the down time for the pump would probably cause the levels to drop. Sorry to hear about your loss, michigans pond season isnt long enough for me to do much more than fill stock tanks and put my bigger tropicals out for the summer.

I hope things smooth out for you, maybe try some smaller fish or tropicals that you could bring in the fall and enjoy duringthe winter down time.

jason

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
My first guess is also O2 levels, Green water can drop the O2 content at night and combine that with the warmer temps. and it might be your problem, more circulation and filtration as well as a shade cloth could help. Also check the dead ones for sores or gill damage. One other thing to check is if any lawn treatment chemicals could have run off into the pond.

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
We havent fertilized or anything all year, so I doubt its lawn chemicals, but thank you for all of your help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store