Fish flashing... How much salt should I be adding?

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Hey Guys and Girls, my peacock bass have recently started flashing so I’m looking to put them through a salt treatment. I’m not sure how much salt I should be adding. I’ve read a lot of different conflicting opinions, one teaspoon per gallon, two teaspoons per gallon. One pound per 150 gallons, .02 salinity? I’m treating 450 gallons so it’s going to be a lot of salt, I just want to make sure I’m not adding too much. As for a background on the tank. There hasn’t been any change in stock for over two years, no live food ever, but I did recently upgrade the tank and when I did I went from a sand bottom to a bare bottom. The only thing I can think is whatever it is was laying dormant in the sand bed and got churned up in the move and attached to the fish. I started to add salt last night and am planning on slowly bringing the salinity us to full dosage. Thanks In advance.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey Guys and Girls, my peacock bass have recently started flashing so I’m looking to put them through a salt treatment. I’m not sure how much salt I should be adding. I’ve read a lot of different conflicting opinions, one teaspoon per gallon, two teaspoons per gallon. One pound per 150 gallons, .02 salinity? I’m treating 450 gallons so it’s going to be a lot of salt, I just want to make sure I’m not adding too much. As for a background on the tank. There hasn’t been any change in stock for over two years, no live food ever, but I did recently upgrade the tank and when I did I went from a sand bottom to a bare bottom. The only thing I can think is whatever it is was laying dormant in the sand bed and got churned up in the move and attached to the fish. I started to add salt last night and am planning on slowly bringing the salinity us to full dosage. Thanks In advance.

Hope this helpshttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/29-gallon-tank-has-ich-how-to-treat-it.711272/

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
If ur not seeing ich then can dose 1 tsp per g.
No visible ich signs, the fish have been fighting since being added to the new tank though, and have some torn fins. Is there a salinity level that I should be aiming for? I’ve read that a under dose of salt renders the treatment ineffective. I want to make sure I treat this appropriately. As for a duration, I’m assuming a three week treatment should be what I’m aiming for?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No visible ich signs, the fish have been fighting since being added to the new tank though, and have some torn fins. Is there a salinity level that I should be aiming for? I’ve read that a under dose of salt renders the treatment ineffective. I want to make sure I treat this appropriately. As for a duration, I’m assuming a three week treatment should be what I’m aiming for?
If no ich then 1% or 0.1.

Reactions: TheWolfman

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I’ll pick up a hydrometer later on today to test the salinity.

I don’t think it’s a dominance thing, they are flicking there fins too as if there’s something their trying to get it off their fins.

I use safe for a dechlorinator

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
How much Safe did you use? The recommended dosage often doesn't neutralize all the chlorine resulting in flashing or worse.

Reactions: TheWolfman

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I use the suggested amount on the label that I’ve always used. I don’t think it has anything to do with the declor. I’ll be adding more salt tonight and monitor. Acording to @kno4te’s advice I’ve dosed about half the recommended dosage allready. I have used salt in the past to help heal damaged fins but never to treat parasites. I don’t want to use any harsh meds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store