Fish for my cold water pond? (SW ONT, Canada)

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
My white clouds winter over.
No, I get that, I just meant that I wasn't sure how your local climate compares to that in SW Ontario, or what temperature the OP's stock-tank heater maintains in his pond during winter.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
No, I get that, I just meant that I wasn't sure how your local climate compares to that in SW Ontario, or what temperature the OP's stock-tank heater maintains in his pond during winter.
A stock heater only emits enough heat to melt the ice around it, not enough to raise the pond temp. I would think that as long as the pond doesn't freeze solid to the bottom they should be able to survive.

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Yes sorry, to clarify, im just using the trough heater to allow gas exchange, I wouldn't try to keep fish that need a heater....locally only white clouds i can find are $2.50 each,

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
You could always try a few of each. White Clouds @ $2.50 each, and the Rosy Reds are going to be about a tenth that price. Either way, not exactly Koi prices. :)

In much colder conditions, I have had Fatheads/Rosies survive under a thick, solid ice coat...I'm talking about 3 feet of ice...with only a thin layer of liquid water at the bottom. I wasn't able to get them all out in the fall despite my best efforts, didn't think they had a chance, but they were swimming around happily as the ice melted in the spring. No food, no open water surface for gas exchange.

This, of course, wouldn't be ideal; more like bare survival and not something to emulate purposely. Still, it shows how tough these little critters are.

Last edited:

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Excellent. I will wait until i can find some locally! So just to clarify.... rosy red minnows = lighter colored fatheads? i have definately seen those in stock nearby

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yes, same species. They range from pale pink to a golden-orange almost like a goldfish. Usually sold as feeders for dirt cheap, but starting to be regulated in some areas so maybe not as available as they once were.

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Yes, same species. They range from pale pink to a golden-orange almost like a goldfish. Usually sold as feeders for dirt cheap, but starting to be regulated in some areas so maybe not as available as they once were.
Now that i think about it, when i was a kid I bought a few rosy reds and had them in my 33gal. They lived for a while and then turned dark in color...maybe reverting to wild type coloring? maybe the diet? Anyways, i called two LFS and neither have them, another shop only has comets and they are now sold as "pond fish" with a .99c price tag. I didn't want to resort to it, but i might call petsmart and see what they have in their filthy fish room

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Wow, Loondon Ontario is in a minnow dryspell! The only minnows i can get my hands on are at a bait shop, ah well. Maybe there will be more options next year. I dont mind letting the pond mature a bit more

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store