Fish ID

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
Does anyone know what this guy is? He's the only fish I've ever bought from an "assorted peacocks" tank.

aulonocara.jpg

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
It's a Blue Regal Peacock. I have his twin. Blue Regal is just a fancier title for a Blue Peacock, as noted above. Still a very nice looking fish.20190208_132912.jpg

Reactions: Seedy J

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Aulonocara stuartgranti 'regal blue' would be a little more accurate. Wild populations at different locations vary and I've seen stuartgranti from more than one location called 'regal blue'. Ideally you'd have A. stuartgranti + location. When they come from importers or careful breeders of imported stock (or stock of specific provenance) you'd expect to see something like Aulonocara stuartgranti mbenji, or cobue blue, or a similar further identification. Often, however, the truth is you can't count on peacocks to be pure to an original location or even necessarily pure to a species, since peacocks will notoriously hybridize if steps aren't taken to prevent it and maintain a pure strain. "Mixed peacocks" would certainly be suspect in this regard.

Essentially, a first step to getting peacocks as they're found in the lake (if that's a goal) is to look for Aulonocara + species + location rather than relying on common names, or made up names like 'dragon blood'. Getting a true, native Aulonocara generally means an importer, trustworthy breeder who can document their stock, or possibly a higher end fish shop (a vanishing breed, it seems).

Not knocking your fish, it's just a reality in the hobby, like all the designer (man made) peacocks available these days. Also to help you be more knowledgeable about Aulonocara (peacocks) and a bit of how to find pure types if that's your goal.

Last edited:

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
...That said, there are a number of very similar looking Aulonocara (which is part of the problem with mixing them). Some species or populations are distinctive for egg spots, color on fins, etc. The one guy (not named Konings) I trusted to unerringly id similar looking peacocks was Larry Johnson, an expert who dives the lake regularly. Used to be a mod with him on a (now defunct) forum.

Reactions: Mdoka
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store