Fish in a lizard tank?

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
You could still get a lizard. A really small one that hides well . My wife hates creepy crawlies. She got upset when I first showed her a Kuhli Loach. I have a tank of them in my house for years and she doesn't know.

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
You could still get a lizard. A really small one that hides well . My wife hates creepy crawlies. She got upset when I first showed her a Kuhli Loach. I have a tank of them in my house for years and she doesn't know.
LOL, you da man! What she don't know won't hurt you. LOL

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Hey, I just looked at the glass on the lizard tank. It is the same thickness as the glass on my 50 tank tank. Do you thing in that case it will be ok?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Could be tempered glass or not. It makes a big difference.
I would just fill it up outdoors and see how much it bulges. You'll know if it's safe or not.
Chances that it shatters are very slim unless it already has a crack or chip.

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I would just fill it up outdoors and see how much it bulges. You'll know if it's safe or not.
That sounds like a good way to test it. As I fill it up, I will put a straight edge across the front. Then I will know. I wanted it for a breeder tank.

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
The results are in! I filled it about 80% and the glass bulged out a little less than 1/8". So that is that. I wonder if I am even safe filling it half way?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Just a note on Killlifish... Most killifish are seasonal; hatching after rains, breeding, laying eggs and dying when the water dries up. The eggs lie in the clay substrate until it rains again. This has allowed hobbyists to collect eggs, dry them in a substrate and ship them all over the world. It's quite interesting!

That flex sounds manageable... You can always brace the top

Reactions: Zanzag

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
The results are in! I filled it about 80% and the glass bulged out a little less than 1/8". So that is that. I wonder if I am even safe filling it half way?
You can glue on braces. Internal or external. Are you concerned about the looks?

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Just a note on Killlifish... Most killifish are seasonal; hatching after rains, breeding, laying eggs and dying when the water dries up. The eggs lie in the clay substrate until it rains again. This has allowed hobbyists to collect eggs, dry them in a substrate and ship them all over the world. It's quite interesting!
That flex sounds manageable... You can always brace the top
You can glue on braces. Internal or external. Are you concerned about the looks?
Looks comes second to me, but it will be in my living room and it is first for my wife.
I guess I can cut aluminum angle and silicon it around the top and paint it black.
That is a bit much with all my other aquarium projects in the fire.
I may just silicon aluminm angle inside and fill it half full.
I will make it a native biotope.
Thanks for the bracing idea!!! I love this place! :hearts:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store