Fish off eBay/amazon???

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
Been looking online at different online stores that sell fish, and noticed people have them on amazon and eBay. What concerned me about both was that delivery said at least 3 days possibly more. Has anyone ever bought fish from eBay or amazon? I think I’d be way too afraid to try it.

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Read through seller reviews and see how long they've been selling for, what other items they have, and if their profile looks normal.

Reactions: jwitty

imabot

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2017
Also look up the images on Tineye and google images to see if they're stealing them from somewhere.

Reactions: Matteus

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Been looking online at different online stores that sell fish, and noticed people have them on amazon and eBay. What concerned me about both was that delivery said at least 3 days possibly more. Has anyone ever bought fish from eBay or amazon? I think I’d be way too afraid to try it.
I’ve bought thru eBay. But would never do a 3 day ship with any seller, esp fish. Most of the ones who try to keep good business practices will suggest overnight. If u do 3 day shipping and get dead fish most will not give u credit as it’s for overnight.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I buy and sell on ebay. I have been buying plants this Winter and they have all been shipped priority from all across the country and I only had one arrive in poor condition. Fortunately that was a moss and even though incased in ice it was alive!. Non of my plants have had a heat pack. On the selling side I have been selling snails and some plants from here in northern lower Michigan. I do use a heat pack for those and all have arrived alive and well. Insulated boxes of course. On occasion I have held shipment until temperatures improved on the buyers end. I have not sold shrimp or fish yet. Once it gets into the fifties I will start selling those.

I have purchased fish numerous times on ebay and all have come in very well. I do look at feedback to determine if issues were resolved. A seller does not have to have 100% positive feedback for me to buy from them, when it comes to fish, because I know some buyers are never satisfied. As long as the seller tried to make things right I will buy from them. Also keep in mind some totally reliable sellers are on ebay, like Wetspot. In resent years they have been one of my most trusted sources but I would normally just call them and pay for overnight shipping. Some fish are worth the extra dollars!

Reactions: Matteus and jwitty

Boboslunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2019
Central Oregon
I bought 4 Marmorkrebs on ebay a month ago, not realizing we were looking at a cold snap. It took 3-4 days to get from NC to OR, the box looked like it was stepped on but all 4 were healthy. Growing like crazy too. Plus it cost me less than 20$ total.

Reactions: Matteus

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
I bought 4 Marmorkrebs on ebay a month ago, not realizing we were looking at a cold snap. It took 3-4 days to get from NC to OR, the box looked like it was stepped on but all 4 were healthy. Growing like crazy too. Plus it cost me less than 20$ total.
Wow that’s quite a long and hard travel for those fish. Glad it worked out

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
I have bought on ebay many times some good some bad my kribnesis pair I bought in february were very well packed with plastic bags that l obsorved oxygen and the fish were fine on the other hand last year I bought was was supposed to be a peacock eel and I got a tyre track eel in a package with a dead heat pack and weeping bag the eel lasted 2 hours so touch and go most of my online purchases have been good

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store