Fish Only Without Live Rock

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
My goal is to run a tank with estuary fish where the salinity fluctuates between high end brackish and the lower limits of full marine. A gradual change from about 1.012 to 1.020 This will keep the fish healthy from any saltwater parasites who can't handle the low salinity, and fresh water parasites who can't handle the high salinity. It will also save me money on salt

My understanding is live rock won't work in that scenario, so for filtration I will be relying on big canister filters and maybe a whole sump system.

Will this work and are there any fish I should avoid because they rely on the live rock for food?

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Good luck with that, as the only fish you'd be able to keep in those condition would be mullets and brackish water livebearers. Also since live rock would not work, neither would a biological filter, well it can work but it won't be as efficient if you kept you salinity stable. If you want reef fish than just keep your salinity at around 1.018 - 1.020 if you just want to save on salt prices. That is what most lfs do to save money on salt.

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
I think there are quite a few species you're unaware of that come and go from estuaries.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Green spotted puffer would work. They start out fresh and gradually migrate to the ocean. I know of people who keep them in brackish conditions for years.

Reactions: tlindsey

spitz006

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2010
Allegan, MI
Can u give me some others or tell me how I can find some on my own?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store