Fish Room Build Thread

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Really depends on what you want. If you want a big community, go for the discus. If you want a wet pet keep the puffer.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I'm on the fence between keeping my small mbu or sell and make the 500G a Altum/Discus combo, I'm leaning to the latter at the moment.

View attachment 1492151

View attachment 1492152

View attachment 1492153

View attachment 1492154
An Altum/Discus tank would be sweet! Would you go planted also? Wow that would look amazing. That’s would be a huge planted tank, lots of drift wood for the fish to swim through. Maybe some small dither fish like tetras or hatchet fish. Yep I would do it.

Reactions: Deadeye

VRI

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2018
Really depends on what you want. If you want a big community, go for the discus. If you want a wet pet keep the puffer.
I want both ??
My plan was like 150 congo tetras of various colors and some smaller west African cichlids with the mbu but now I'm shifting over to discus/altum.

VRI

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2018
An Altum/Discus tank would be sweet! Would you go planted also? Wow that would look amazing. That’s would be a huge planted tank, lots of drift wood for the fish to swim through. Maybe some small dither fish like tetras or hatchet fish. Yep I would do it.
I already ordered plants and driftwood for like $1K for the plan with a planted west African tank so either way there will be greenery ?

F1 Altum
F1 Wild discus variety
Cory Sterbai
Hatchets
Cardinal
Some other tetra
Maybe 10-12 small 4" exotic plecos
Otos
Etc etc

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Just a thought, and compatibility may not be perfect in this setup, a shoal of Amazon puffers with the angels and discus. They are very peaceful and given enough room shouldn’t bother the cichlids, and give the puffer effect even if not as interactive as a mbu.

Reactions: VRI

VRI

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2018
Just a thought, and compatibility may not be perfect in this setup, a shoal of Amazon puffers with the angels and discus. They are very peaceful and given enough room shouldn’t bother the cichlids, and give the puffer effect even if not as interactive as a mbu.
I'll look in to them but I fear they might be nippers.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I'll look in to them but I fear they might be nippers.
Mine are pretty well behaved, but puffers are puffers so definitely not the safest option, just something to look into.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I already ordered plants and driftwood for like $1K for the plan with a planted west African tank so either way there will be greenery ?

F1 Altum
F1 Wild discus variety
Cory Sterbai
Hatchets
Cardinal
Some other tetra
Maybe 10-12 small 4" exotic plecos
Otos
Etc etc
I would avoid pleco for planted tanks but the rest of the stock is great! I love a large group of Cory cats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store