Fish rooms and septic tanks

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I have a decent sized fish room. Most of the tanks are on a drip and other others get weekly water changes. Needless to say I go through a lot of water (or at least to me). It is probably about 750 to 1000 gallons a week. We are currently on a sewage system. There is a community that my wife and I are considering to move to. All the house have septic tanks. Will this be doable for me with the amount of water I have to get rid of each week? Thank you

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have a decent sized fish room. Most of the tanks are on a drip and other others get weekly water changes. Needless to say I go through a lot of water (or at least to me). It is probably about 750 to 1000 gallons a week. We are currently on a sewage system. There is a community that my wife and I are considering to move to. All the house have septic tanks. Will this be doable for me with the amount of water I have to get rid of each week? Thank you
Dont put the water in the drain. Drain it outside if you can. But its probably ok as its not solid waste and should disapate in to your field quickly.

Last edited:

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Dont put the water in the drain. Drain it outside if you can. But its probably ok as its not solid waste and should disapate in to your field quickly.
This wont flood the field or backup the tank?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I drain 300 gallons of weeks through mine but it has capacity to handle it when I had my septic pumped the guy said it was really clean I'm not sure about your capacity or how much your higher volume is going to be put through it might make a difference

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Very good question. I have lived in home with a septic system for decades. Mostly I do not put anything down a drain other than human waste #1 & #2 , the sinks and showers. I even do not flush the wiping paper any more. I am careful with kitchen waste. For example I wipe as much of any sort of oils or grease out of a pan and throw it in the trash bag and not down the sink.
Not saying the sheer volume of water will be an issue but that may be a thing to check out. You are looking at 4000 to 5000 gallons a month for tanks plus what the family will use. I live alone and use over a 1000 per month and I am conservative. You might be putting 7000 a month in a system.
The important thing is the type of soil. They do a perk test on the soil to see how well water will move thru it. Some places cannot have a septic system if the soil does not perk well enough. You can call the county government and find out what your system is rated for. Around me it also depends on the number of bedrooms as well as the perk results.
I pour my old tank water on some outside plants. Good luck

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; That is the question. Most systems are sized to the house to a big degree. Another is the age of the septic system. The old ones did not have PVC pipes and I had an old style pipe collapse at one place. The age and condition of the field can make a difference. My former neighbors ruined a system in part by driving their trucks on the drain field.

My thinking is extra water is not likely to do damage as long as the filed can move the flow.

Reactions: Charney

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
on the other hand we lived with the lady that did not have a septic that could handle it and if more than three people used the toilet it flooded her backyard and septic fluids

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I never thought about this but ive had a septic tank my entire life. Pond, 475, 375, 300, 180, etc. I've had waste water from a rodi down the drain but the rest is all outside with a drip.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
As was mentioned above everything depends on the porosity of your soil.

If you have any layers of impermeable clay then you will have problems to solve.

You might want to talk to a soils engineer in the area. The local septic guys will pretty much know too. Someone can take a sample and tell your situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store