Fish safe?

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
This might be a dumb question lol.
I recently installed a new tub/shower surround in our bathroom and this was the old shower control that was removed.
20200508_130441.jpg

I was wondering if I could tie this into the hot and cold lines in my basement above my tank using pex, then have a hose connected to it for quick water changes at a set temperature.
Eventually plumb to a rainbird for auto water changes.

Reactions: DN328 and tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Some fish are sensitive to copper, I think some more experienced members could give more insight. Lots of old houses run copper pipes, if there are mineral deposits inside then copper leaching may be minimal

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
This might be a dumb question lol.
I recently installed a new tub/shower surround in our bathroom and this was the old shower control that was removed.
View attachment 1416833

I was wondering if I could tie this into the hot and cold lines in my basement above my tank using pex, then have a hose connected to it for quick water changes at a set temperature.
Eventually plumb to a rainbird for auto water changes.
I've personally had Marbled Catsharks live for 4 years and all my pipes were copper you should be fine.

Reactions: lnelms2

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
I've personally had Marbled Catsharks live for 4 years and all my pipes were copper you should be fine.
Some fish are sensitive to copper, I think some more experienced members could give more insight. Lots of old houses run copper pipes, if there are mineral deposits inside then copper leaching may be minimal
I have rays and peacock bass. My main concern would be the rays.

I've lived in homes with copper pipes and never had an issue but that was before I was ray keeping.

Reactions: tlindsey

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I don't see any issue with re-using it BUT you may need to check it to see if it is the balancing valve type rather than a temperature balancing type. Not sure how accurate you want to be or if there is a concern if someone else is using water in the home when you are doing water changes.

The fact it is copper and probably brass shouldn't make a difference since I would assume your home uses copper plumbing and you've been using it for water changes.

Reactions: DN328 and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have rays and peacock bass. My main concern would be the rays.

I've lived in homes with copper pipes and never had an issue but that was before I was ray keeping.
Yes that's why I mentioned the Catsharks. All true Sharks and Rays are very sensitive to copper such as meds with copper ingredients.

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
I don't see any issue with re-using it BUT you may need to check it to see if it is the balancing valve type rather than a temperature balancing type. Not sure how accurate you want to be or if there is a concern if someone else is using water in the home when you are doing water changes.

The fact it is copper and probably brass shouldn't make a difference since I would assume your home uses copper plumbing and you've been using it for water changes.
When I bought the house I had all the plumbing redone so it's all pex now. I'll see if I can figure out what type of valve it is.

Yes that's why I mentioned the Catsharks. All true Sharks and Rays are very sensitive to copper such as meds with copper ingredients.
Ok awesome! I don't know much about catsharks. Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Yes you can use it. All plumbing in houses are copper so there's nothing to worry about. Pex is just a cheaper alternative to copper plumbing.​

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Don’t think copper will leach since it’s old and probably coated with minerals. If you wanna be safe, just run the water for a bit to get rid of any old water that was sitting in the pipes before using it for a water change. The hot water side will leach more but it’ll be minimal since you’ll be mixing with mostly cold water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store