Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I'd Love to keep
Vieja; biffas,argentae,breihdori,heterospila
Male jaguar cichlid
Amphilopus; barred Midas, red islantus
I'm sure there is a lot more cichlids out there but those are the ones on top of my head
And reason I can't keep them yet Is because I only have 1 tank ATM with more peaceful fish
Eventually I'll move out and have space for more setups

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I knew I was forgetting some
Cuban cichlids I really like as well
Aequidens diademas
And deppis
I might be misspelling scientific names

Reactions: mrrobxc

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Any fish you really like but for whatever reason can't keep?
Mine is uaru. I would love a nice group of these but my water is just too hard.
Yes, same here - would love a Uaru, but my tap water comes out at 7.4
also, Hatiensis and Tetracanthus due to the fact that I don't have large tank I will be willing to dedicate to 1 or 2 fish kept at 86F - shame they can't be kept communicably
Also Cichla temensis - just don't know where I could keep a 30-40lbs fish as an adult
finally, I know it's not a Cichlid, but I find the Golden Dorado absolutely captivating, but again - where to do I put a fish that can top 60lbs?

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Acarichthys heckelii (threadfins) is another one.
I have kept them before but in hard water they soon succumb. they do fine at first but once they get to around 4 inches they seem to disintegrate with bacterial infections. I found even with lots of leaf litter in tannin stained water that they still suffer.Beautiful fish but need that soft acid water.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I've always wanted a Dovii but refuse to play the constant upgrade game and I am of the mindset that they need at least 600 gallons, BD Rays for essentially the same reason. And I've never been able to keep an EBJD alive-love those fish.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Yes, same here - would love a Uaru, but my tap water comes out at 7.4
also, Hatiensis and Tetracanthus due to the fact that I don't have large tank I will be willing to dedicate to 1 or 2 fish kept at 86F - shame they can't be kept communicably
Also Cichla temensis - just don't know where I could keep a 30-40lbs fish as an adult
finally, I know it's not a Cichlid, but I find the Golden Dorado absolutely captivating, but again - where to do I put a fish that can top 60lbs?
I'm jealous of your tap water. I have to use crushed coral to get that ph.
For me tank space limits what I can keep. I want some of the same fish as you Frank, and other large CAs, like dovii.
But one fish I have had a hard time keeping and growing out to an adult size is a male salvini. I had 2, but lost them to bloat. I never had them get past 4",but females I have gotten to 6". I think a 8" male salvini would be an impressive fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store