Fish

Ethan J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2018
Maryland
Im setting up a 75 gallon tank, I have a 9 inch pleco that will be going into it... But looking for suggestions on what else to stock with.

I have a 190 gal community tank, and a 45gal guppy/cory tank.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
What type of pleco is that? A common one? If so, I would get a smaller pleco because the common ones get real big, 12"+ and produce a lot of waste.

Do you have hard water or soft water (GH ppm) ?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yes. Be careful with those common plecos as they’ll get big.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What specie of fish do you prefer Cichlids, non Cichlid, or Oddballs? Also like stated by Rocksor Rocksor the type of water you have are preferred by the species you would want stock the 75 with. Welcome aboard:)

Reactions: Ethan J

Ethan J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2018
Maryland
What type of pleco is that? A common one? If so, I would get a smaller pleco because the common ones get real big, 12"+ and produce a lot of waste.

Do you have hard water or soft water (GH ppm) ?
Yes it is a common, I am planning on rehoming it before it gets to 12" , I believe hard water

Ethan J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2018
Maryland
What specie of fish do you prefer Cichlids, non Cichlid, or Oddballs? Also like stated by Rocksor Rocksor the type of water you have are preferred by the species you would want stock the 75 with. Welcome aboard:)
Only fish ive kept are, Tetras, Mollys, Guppys, Corys, Gouramis, A few different kinds of catfish like the Raphael's , Pictus , Synos ... I wouldnt mind trying cichlids , Just not to sure what exactly to do , just looking for ideas other people have

Reactions: Jexnell

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Only fish ive kept are, Tetras, Mollys, Guppys, Corys, Gouramis, A few different kinds of catfish like the Raphael's , Pictus , Synos ... I wouldnt mind trying cichlids , Just not to sure what exactly to do , just looking for ideas other people have
I suggest you do research on Cichlids they are fascinating and intelligent. Most Cichlids come from SA, CA, and from the Continent of Africa. They come in a wide variety of sizes large, medium, and Dwarfs.

Reactions: Jexnell

Ethan J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2018
Maryland
I suggest you do research on Cichlids they are fascinating and intelligent. Most Cichlids come from SA, CA, and from the Continent of Africa. They come in a wide variety of sizes large, medium, and Dwarfs.
do you have any recommendations on any i should research?

Reactions: tlindsey

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Higher PH hard water is what Central American fish like. Southern ones like a lower PH soft water. So stick to centrals would be best if you have hard water.
Now with your first go with cichlids I would stick with a smaller breed for ease of care while new to cichlids.
Here are a couple setups that would work out nice in that 75.

Convict tank
Convicts stay small so could do either a harem setup 1m 3f or a single breeding pair. Then add in Swordtails or Sailfin Mollys as dithers, a bushynose pleco, Porthole catfish.

Firemouth colony with five to seven individuals. Again go with Swords or Sailfin as dithers, or the blind cave tetra (a lot harder to find), bushynose pleco, Porthole catfish

Salvini pair. Again Swordtails or Sailfins as dithers, a bushynose, Porthole catfish.

Lastly a Jack Dempsey pair. A bit tight for an adult pair but can work. The same support staff as mentioned with the other tanks.

You could replace the Swordtails and Sailfins with a taller body tetra like Black skirt, Bleeding hearts, Diamonds, Buenos Aires. I suggest the Mollys as dithers due to they will pick off the cichlid fry when it gets to swimmer stage so you won't have to find homes for them. The cichlids will return the favor and pick off the Mollys fry and both groups will stay busy with breeding activities to bother the other. I have a 55gal set up this way with Honduran Red Points.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store