Fishing for Exotics.

Superlaz

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
USA
Alright, It's a little late in the year to have the fishing bug, but the weather is still quite warm down here so i'll go'till I cant go no more... I have an empty 125 and 2 55's that i would like to stock. So i was thinking why buy something I can catch? lol. So the expected occupants are:

All Juvies 8" max
1. P. bass
2. Jaguars
3. Midas
4. Oscar
6. Fl Gar

Might Consider Tilapia and Mayan Cichlid..depends on the specimin.

Now these arent that difficult to find. Except for the Midas and Gar I could catch all of these on a random day of the week behind my home. The gar require a short drive as do the Midas, and the Midas require more patience than the rest. My big question comes for a fish not located on the list. The Clown Knife . The only population outside of Asia is in lake Osborne, Palm Beach County Fl. Now thats about an hour and a half away, and im not going anywhere until I have gathered what would make for a probable chance of catching one. I would love to catch a nice sized Clown for the tank. I've been doing my research and have more or less pinpointed the areas where they have been caught and cross-referenced with Satellite pics as I am not familiar with the Area. From the people that have reported catching them : Minnows seem to be the bait of choice...what are Missouri Minnows? Also night time seems to be a good time to fish for them. My questtions are this:

Anyone in this area fished for them that would like to comment/advise/Join in on the trip??

Any other bait/tackle/method recommended??

Fish top water, middle??

Any info is appreciated as I know this is definitely not a common topic, or fish to go fishing for..but i'm telling you I am hard headedand I got bit by the Clown fish fishing bug. lol.

I expect to go in a couple of weeks, if not early January...If I have to wait 'till spring due to weather thats okay...as long as I have a decent idea of what to expect..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store