Fishing Legislation

AndreR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Germany
RyanS;710442; said:
When you say you must daze the fish, what does that mean? Conk it out with an oar to the head?

Exactly, this technique agrees in principle and is usual.

Here in Germany you break the law if you do not have the aim to keep, kill and eat the fish before fishing from a philosophical point of view.

You are only allowed to release a fish gently if it is too small or the wrong kind in a closed season.

The legislation for fishing is different in each federal state but the basic law concerning Animal-Welfare is authoritative for all of them.

RyanS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
Minnesota
Hmm, a bit unusual in my opinion. With all the care that is given to the fish, it seems odd that it's mandatory to bash it's head in.

Is it true that it's illegal to swerve to avoid hitting small dogs in Germany? A bit off topic, but that is what I was told.

Do you have restrictions on tackle? Such as using barbed hooks?

AndreR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Germany
RyanS;711692; said:
Hmm, a bit unusual in my opinion. With all the care that is given to the fish, it seems odd that it's mandatory to bash it's head in.

Actually it is not as unusual as it seems right now to you.

The idea behind this is to avoid harm generally. The dazing is not supposed to harm as well, it is not meant to "bash in", it is meant to take the fishes consciousness to the point of death which is aimed by bleeding to death by a sting right into the fishes heart.

Of course it is a matter of correct execution.

Is it true that it's illegal to swerve to avoid hitting small dogs in Germany? A bit off topic, but that is what I was told.
In general traffic there is a kind of contradiction somehow.

On the one hand the law concerning animal welfare regulates that you must not harm animals without a good reason.

On the other hand the regulations concerning car- insurances say that it is the drivers fault if he causes any accident because he did not hit any animal that would have caused less damages.

At all it could be a good reason to kill an animal that definetively would not harm the driver and his passengers just causing some material damage than taking the risk of hitting a tree killing anyone inside the car or whatever.

But actually the driver will never know if he did not try it ;)

So most drivers just prefer hitting small animals than taking a risk of losing insurance, I think they do not think about it any step further.

Do you have restrictions on tackle? Such as using barbed hooks?
Actually I am not firm in english terminology concerning fishing, so I unfortunately do not understand this sentence, could you please express it more detailed in easier words?

What does to tackle mean and what are barbed hooks?

:)

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
In the UK we have to perchance an “Environmental Agency Rod Licence” this can be bought over the internet or at a Post office.

Any angler aged 12 years or over, fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England (except the River Tweed), Wales or the Border Esk and its tributaries in Scotland must have an Environment Agency rod licence.
Money from the sale of licences helps to fund our work managing fisheries. If you are caught fishing without one, you are cheating other anglers and could be fined up to £2,500.(Children under 12 years of age do not require a rod fishing licence) It runs from 31st March for a year you can get one any time of the year but it runs out on the 31st of March. For Carp Anglers you can fish 2 rods on one licence but you can hold 2 licences so you can fish a max of 4 rods. No exam or test is requires just ££££££££££££:D

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
AndreR;712452; said:
Actually I am not firm in english terminology concerning fishing, so I unfortunately do not understand this sentence, could you please express it more detailed in easier words?

What does to tackle mean and what are barbed hooks?

:)
Tackle would be anything you use to fish. Things like bobbers and lures and such. Most hooks (at leat here) have a small sharp point sticking off of it, this makes it so the fish is less likely to get off the hook but causes more damage. Some places require you use hooks without barbs. Personally, I take all the barbs off my hooks anyway.

Stotty, sounds like your laws are similer to ours. Here you have to be 16 in order to need a permit.

AndreR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Germany
Now I understand, thanks :)

The regulation concerning techniques are very unspecific, it alway is a matter of harm necessity. If you harm a fish more than it is necessary you fail.

Under 14 years you can get a preliminary license without examination but you are only allowed to fish in a officia-license-keepers company, that means someone older than 14 having passed the examination successfully to have obtained the license.

Next to this governmental license you need an official permission of the waterbody-owner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store