Fishkeeping Rules you Cannot Avoid.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
If you overstock your tank, nature will reduce the stock even when you do not bother.

If you do not make small regular water changes you will end up making huge dramatic ones, Once you discover your dead stock.

If you were unwilling to spend $ on water, you will eventually spend even more $ on medicine or fish.

If you think that you will be careful enough to do something with an aquarium that everyone says is probably a bad idea, You will eventually come to the conclusion that being so careful is too much effort.

I’m sure you guys can think of some more. That’s just off the top of my head.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
If you want to do something with your aquarium...stocking, filtration, maintenance, etc...but you find that everyone is in unanimous agreement that it is a really bad idea, don't worry. Just keep looking around; eventually you will find an "expert" who will re-assure you that your idea will work and everything will be "fine". Then you can forge ahead with your ridiculous plan, buoyed up by a clear conscience, a comforting sense of confidence and the smug certainty that you really are smarter than everybody else.

If things go awry, you can always rely on that same internet genius to help you out. He's probably kept fish all his life and knows all the tricks. Maybe his mom can even drive him out to your place to check out your tank.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm firmly in charge of all the fish keeping rules in our house, except one, which is a rule i certainly can't avoid....NO MORE TANKS! My missus has come up with that little rule :cry:

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
No more tanks is code for you can have more.
When you get married young man and you slowly start building up your collection of tanks, and your new missus, if she's anything like mine, turns round to you one day and says, "right, that's enough, no more", then I can absolutely assure you that, unless you want a painful visit to the local accident and emergency ward with a pan stuck on your head, that it would be very wise to pay attention to what she is saying, lol.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
When you get married young man and you slowly start building up your collection of tanks, and your new missus, if she's anything like mine, turns round to you one day and says, "right, that's enough, no more", then I can absolutely assure you that, unless you want a painful visit to the local accident and emergency ward with a pan stuck on your head, that it would be very wise to pay attention to what she is saying, lol.
Lol still better then a rolling pin stuck up the "other end".

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Lol still better then a rolling pin stuck up the "other end".
Lol, you sound like you're speaking from experience there....OUCH!

See Deadeye Deadeye , you've got all this to look forward to, lol.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well, personal experience is a huge part of success in this business but I will admit that I have run afoul of every one of the rules I quoted in my original post

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well, personal experience is a huge part of success in this business but I will admit that I have run afoul of every one of the rules I quoted in my original post
Which leads us possibly to the number one "rule".....DON'T GIVE UP.....take the bad experiences, learn from them, move on and become a better fishkeeper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store