five star general biotope possible

nathanzhang

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
I was just wondering if it was possible to have a five star general biotope aquarium. There would be no other cichlids except for five star jewels and I would try to have one or two males and 5 to 7 females.

What other fish could I add as dithers, congo tetras?

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Depends on tank size and species. There are 3 species that are considered 5 star generals; fasciatus, frempongi and elongatus. By far, the most aggressive and largest is fasciatus. I would not recommend this species if you are planning on keeping multiple individuals. The other 2 species are substantially more mellow and might tolerate the presence of other pairs, given a large enough tank. They also would probably tolerate large dithers in the form of african characins or similar fast moving, active fish. Catfish species such as synodontis might also be good tank mates.

Another thing to note is that these fish are monogamous spawners meaning they pair up and defend the nest and fry together. There is no need to have multiple females for each male. In fact, often times, there is little size difference between the sexes and females can kill males just as easily as males can kill females. Even sexing mature individuals can be difficult.

H. frempongi is endemic to one lake which would make for a very restrictive biotope. H. elongatus however, has a huge distribution, and would give you a lot of options when it comes to other species. H. elongatus usually maxes out around 5 or 6 inches too, which makes housing them a lot easier. I would think something like a 6 foot 180 would allow enough of room for a small group of elongatus and some other non cichlid tank mates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store