Flagtail power

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
2 different flagtails. Both photos taken when they were 14-15”. Their curiosity for slimecoat didn’t develop until hitting around after 12”.

My suggestion is if u feel that they’re getting to big for the tank, or causing issues. Rehome and get a new smaller one, lol. They’re window cleaning abilities and algae eating and leftover foods disposal is impeccable!!!

View attachment 1379979

View attachment 1379980
I agree. If anyone gets the chance to be able to add these guys to their tank, I would say go for it.

It seems like the smaller ones are better cleaners than the big one I have.(imo) But the big one I have is so dang cute it makes up for the lack of cleanup. Lol.

I suppose it most likely cleans more than I typically would notice. Especially seeing what the one in my original post did overnight in the dark.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Interesting thread. Thanks all. I have learned a good deal. IDK much about the prochilods.

Are we sure these two fish in the photo are the red fin and the yellow fin FTs? My yellow fins had a obviously different body shape and fin shape. These two fish are identical in these terms. I thought yellow and red are indeed based on their natural colors but too are a function of diet. So the real differentiation is in the bio-geometry.
I really can't say 100% Viktor, and for sure I'm not even close to being knowledgeable about species as chaps like you and Vancouver_98683 -- when I tried doing research about types of Flagtails about a month ago I nearly got a headache it was so confusing (also because they're so often mislabeled).

In any case though, while the photo above might not really show it, in fact these 2 fish do have different bio-geometrics that is more apparent when viewing in person: the red fin has a taller body and the yellow fin is shorter in height but longer and thicker.

I agree. If anyone gets the chance to be able to add these guys to their tank, I would say go for it.

It seems like the smaller ones are better cleaners than the big one I have.(imo) But the big one I have is so dang cute it makes up for the lack of cleanup. Lol.

I suppose it most likely cleans more than I typically would notice. Especially seeing what the one in my original post did overnight in the dark.
Agreed Matthew, the only tricky question is how does one know if the cute little Flagtail they bought at 4" will turn out to be a little 'un or a big 'un? :) Unless we can clearly identify some differentiating traits between the 2 it seems like a bit of a roll the dice scenario.

That said, if a Flagtail did outgrow someone's tank and they couldn't upgrade, I don't imagine it would be overly difficult to sell or re-home such a big beautiful fish if a person lived in area with a reasonable amount of fish keepers/LFS -- probably much easier than say an RTC or Iridescent Shark.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I really can't say 100% Viktor, and for sure I'm not even close to being knowledgeable about species as chaps like you and Vancouver_98683 -- when I tried doing research about types of Flagtails about a month ago I nearly got a headache it was so confusing (also because they're so often mislabeled).

In any case though, while the photo above might not really show it, in fact these 2 fish do have different bio-geometrics that is more apparent when viewing in person: the red fin has a taller body and the yellow fin is shorter in height but longer and thicker.

Agreed Matthew, the only tricky question is how does one know if the cute little Flagtail they bought at 4" will turn out to be a little 'un or a big 'un? :) Unless we can clearly identify some differentiating traits between the 2 it seems like a bit of a roll the dice scenario.

That said, if a Flagtail did outgrow someone's tank and they couldn't upgrade, I don't imagine it would be overly difficult to sell or re-home such a big beautiful fish if a person lived in area with a reasonable amount of fish keepers/LFS -- probably much easier than say an RTC or Iridescent Shark.
I’m in the same boat Barrett. I probably found all the same confusion as you did. I am still trying to figure out how to use fishbase. I put in a species to search and seems like nothing of what I am looking for shows up. So I scroll down and realize there are so many filter options. So I click on them and it takes me to a whole other page of fish that are not what I am looking for. I can not find a nice and tidy page like Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 showed a picture of for the life of me. What are you searching to find that?

I don’t typically have very much patience, especially when it comes to computer type stuff. So this is excruciatingly frustrating for me but I am still trying to figure this site out. I have to keep reminding myself that the reward is greater on the other side.

Reactions: islandguy11

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I’m in the same boat Barrett. I probably found all the same confusion as you did. I am still trying to figure out how to use fishbase. I put in a species to search and seems like nothing of what I am looking for shows up. So I scroll down and realize there are so many filter options. So I click on them and it takes me to a whole other page of fish that are not what I am looking for. I can not find a nice and tidy page like Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 showed a picture of for the life of me. What are you searching to find that?

I don’t typically have very much patience, especially when it comes to computer type stuff. So this is excruciatingly frustrating for me but I am still trying to figure this site out. I have to keep reminding myself that the reward is greater on the other side.

Here ya go in TL and SL measurements

Alyson Smith

Feeder Fish
Jul 15, 2019
Honestly this has really helped me realize how much I love these guys.

Funny enough. I’m noticing that there are different types of ft. Like there are lots of other types of fish that grow different sizes and whatnot. This one seems to be one of the smaller types. Some call them the yellow tailed variety. I think this guy will max out at 6-7”. I’ve had it about a year now and it has hardly grown an inch to be a full 4” now. I have another 2 of a similar size that are even much older yet.
Hi I have just joined and noticed the posts about Flagtails. I live in south of UK and flags are almost impossible to get hold of. I have been lucky enough after a 18m wait to have got hold of 3. I think I may have 2 males and 1 female. But mine have deep orange tails with 11 black stripes plus orange fins. Truly stunning all appropriate 7”. I will try to get some pictures of them. But they hide every time I get the camera near the tank.
I have had them about a year now. But over the last few weeks two of them are acting strangely. I have tried to look this up on internet but can’t find anything about it. They look like they are kissing. Not hurting each other at all. Have you any ideas about this?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hi Alyson. I’m a meet novice regarding these guys. I have about as much experience as you do. Lol.

What I have read though is flagtails seem to fight if they are in groups of less than 6. Something tells me that the “kissing” could be a fight for dominance. Fortunately even if they are fighting they may not have the means to do mortal damage unless over a prolonged period of time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store